The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New All-American Rejects
Old 13th December 2008
Gear Nut

New All-American Rejects

Check out the new All American Rejects album on their myspace. MySpace.com - The All-American Rejects - STILLWATER, OKLAHOMA - Rock / Powerpop - www.myspace.com/allamericanrejects

I noticed Eric Valentine once again got THAT drum sound similar to the one he used on Taking Back Sunday's Louder Now LP. Anyone have any tips on how to get this sound or something similar? It's very "sticky" sounding...for lack of better adjectives... haha.
Old 13th December 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by geektanic08 View Post
Check out the new All American Rejects album on their myspace. MySpace.com - The All-American Rejects - STILLWATER, OKLAHOMA - Rock / Powerpop - www.myspace.com/allamericanrejects

I noticed Eric Valentine once again got THAT drum sound similar to the one he used on Taking Back Sunday's Louder Now LP. Anyone have any tips on how to get this sound or something similar? It's very "sticky" sounding...for lack of better adjectives... haha.
Did CLA mix it again?

If so that's probably part of the anwer.
Old 13th December 2008
Gear Nut

Not sure about CLA... I thought Howard Benson did their last one? Anyway, that's not really contributing much to the discussion. "CLA" isn't the end all-be all answer to every production question.
Old 13th December 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by geektanic08 View Post
Not sure about CLA... I thought Howard Benson did their last one? Anyway, that's not really contributing much to the discussion. "CLA" isn't the end all-be all answer to every production question.
I was just wondering if CLA mixed this record since he mixed the last one, but as you said it is Eric Valentine who produced and mixed it.
Old 13th December 2008
Lives for gear

Really don't like that drums sound. In my opinion I would say it's samples and all samples. It's the exact same sound he used on Good Charlotte and Lostprophets.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for using samples when needed, just not into these.
Old 16th December 2008
Gear Addict

the record was engineered/mixed by eric valentine -- just got a copy of it, sounds ****ing amazing!!

there has never been a cd that eric has produced that i haven't loved... he's sure got an ear for music

the drums do sound very sample based, and this CD features the same snare/drum sound as most of his recordings in the last decade have, but I think it totally works (TLA/CLA use sampled drums all the time, so whatever)

i think he must have one or two snare samples that he recycles and layers on top of the actual drum track, or maybe he mics/mixes the drums the exact same way for each record he does
Old 16th December 2008
Lives for gear

Doesnt sound like CLA mixed it. Dirty Little Secret and Move Along come on and sounds better than the new stuff to me......probably better material too.
I dig the AAR....Ill probably get the new record.
Old 16th December 2008
Lives for gear

I've loved all their stuff... this one is no different. And to top it off, their songwriting is getting better and better.
Old 16th December 2008
Lives for gear

I love Eric's work but his drums ALWAYS sound the same. I bet its always the same studio set with the same miking scheme and using the same samples in the mix.

I wonder if his set just stays set up and miked at all times.
Old 17th December 2008
Gear Nut

He mixed a song I engineered last year, he is really great to watch, a lot of really tight automation moves to get the nuances of different parts. Talked gear with him for a while, he has some super rare stuff but he said "its the driver not the car"

I do have some samples that he uses tho...
Old 26th January 2009
Gear Addict

I'm diggin it. Good songs.
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

I think Eric was great for this band. The record sounds like an actual band playing. I have loved his work ever since the Third Eye Blind record.
Old 26th January 2009
Here for the gear

what i really liked about the record was the guitar sound, maybe it's because of the firebird, but it's a top notch fat sound, and it's not obvious, like in "Damn Girl"... I wonder how they achieved that fat sounding and it also works in the mix...

the production is good too, I heard some good midi stuff in the cd =)
Old 26th January 2009
Gear Addict

Thumbs down pants...

Heard it. Hate it. Songs are ****e. EV knocked it out of the park...one of my fav. Producers of all time...but "move along" is the benchmark for those dudes...and there isn't one of them on there!

Last edited by britdick; 26th January 2009 at 04:47 AM.. Reason: abcd
Old 26th January 2009
Gear Maniac

I love this album! It is very well arranged and layered appropriately (at least in my opinion!). Although

I am curious about his engineering techniques. I don't doubt the drums are sampled, but they have a very unique "slappy" tone. They also seem to have very little resonance, yet still have a pitch/tone to them rather than just a dead thud.

Some of those guitars are quite huge when they kick in
Old 26th January 2009
Gear Nut

Move Along was really impressive- all around well done.

I like the new single "Hope it Gives You Hell"- to my ears it's pretty fresh sonically for a Top 40 tune!
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

There's a picture in the layout of drums being tracked and there's 3 pieces of moongel on the snare (which looks to be a bell brass). Makes sense for his drum sound.. highly resonant shells totally muffled..

Its an interesting sound.
Old 26th January 2009
Gear Nut

Interesting planet red

Makes me wonder if they muffle it b/c they realize they will layer a sample in later.

Interesting idea, cutting down on the snare going to tape so that they can really control the crack of the snare with samples
Old 26th January 2009
You know, I saw this thread, and bought it. I'm not really that blown away... It's a decent record, and the guitar tones are great, but that's about all I like of it. To me the drums sound pretty small, albeit punchy. Def not a bad record, just didn't really impress.

Last thread that made me pick up a record was the Paramore-Riot thread, and that was an album that honestly impressed me in terms of sonics.
Old 26th January 2009
Gear Head

There's an article on him in an old Tape Op where he explained his drum mic setup. If I remember correctly he sets the cymbals as high as the drummer can physically play them, then he puts 2 Coles 4038 under the cymbals so that the back of the mic isn't picking up cymbals, then he compresses the crap out of them. Thats a huge part of his signature sound.
Old 26th January 2009
Gear Head

This album is really lacking in terms of its sound and its songs compared to the last one IMHO. The album Move Along is one of my favorite modern day pop mixes.
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear
His drums aren't really sampled heavily to my knowledge. He has an interesting technique that involves separating the drums into different frequency ranges with different mics. i.e. - using different mics to handle different frequency ranges. 2 different NS10 speakers on the kick, plus a mic on the batter side - all carved up with eq to handle specific tasks.
Old 27th January 2009
Gear Nut

Eric recorded 6 tunes for my band's (The Noises 10) latest record this past year. In fact we were coming and going around the AAR sessions. Only one of these tunes ended up using samples, and that song was mixed by Matt Redosavich (spelling?). I took a ton of pics of the sessions, I'll try and see if I can find some....

Louderock's comments seem to gel with what I saw.
Attached Thumbnails
New All-American Rejects-img_0046.jpg   New All-American Rejects-img_0050.jpg   New All-American Rejects-img_0054.jpg   New All-American Rejects-img_0055.jpg   New All-American Rejects-img_0060.jpg  

New All-American Rejects-img_0112.jpg   New All-American Rejects-img_0143.jpg   New All-American Rejects-img_0167.jpg   New All-American Rejects-img_0450.jpg   New All-American Rejects-img_0459.jpg  

Old 27th January 2009
Gear Nut

A few more.

He allowed me to finish our record (10 more tunes) at his place while he was in Atlanta (I think) for some sort of AAR related work. Having all his toys to use as I pleased was an AMAZING experience. He has some EQs that he designed that are REALLY powerful. Awesome place.
Attached Thumbnails
New All-American Rejects-img_0461.jpg   New All-American Rejects-img_0468.jpg   New All-American Rejects-img_0472.jpg  

Last edited by Noise10; 27th January 2009 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: I'm dumb and left out a word
Old 27th January 2009
Lives for gear

This album/genre is a guilty listening pleasure of mine. I think overall sonically the album is stellar for a pop/rock album. IMO the drum tones and ac gtr are a bit lacking (given the extremely high standard) but everything else is just so badass. How great are those electric guitar sounds?! I know very little of their "Move Along" era material but I really think this is a very mature sounding album for them.

I think it rocks
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Addict

Does anyone have any info on the gtr tones for this album or their previous?
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Maniac

I like arrangements, but would it be a compliment or put down to say this music sounds exactly like what I hear while waiting for the movie to start at the theater?
Old 19th April 2009
Gear Head

A les Paul into something just like everything else
Old 7th October 2010
Lives for gear

Can't stand his drum mixes. The drums don't sound "bad" just odd to my ears.
Old 7th October 2010
Gear Maniac

Whatever he does with the guitar sound is amazing. All the guitars seems to gel together in perfect harmony like a wall of sound that cuts through enough without over taking the mix.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search