The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Composing and Sequencers?
Old 22nd September 2016
Composing and Sequencers?

Hi Éric,
wonderful you want to answer our questions.

I want to know more about your sequencer use and composing please.
I struggle with that sometimes myself, so maybe you can offer some insight in the way you work.
You've mentioned in another thread, that you are using a Circlon sequencer to synchronize all the synthesizers. I assume that it was used on the Evo Devo album.

My question is, how do you compose using sequencers? Do you figure out a song structure and melody in detail, before programming a sequence? Or build from a very basic idea, making it more complex as you go?

Do you use sequencers in the Buchla? If yes, do you include those sequences when writing, or are they used to create variations and subdivisions on a basic theme during the process? Maybe you can share a favorite patch?

Did the Circlon radically change your way of working? And does it steer you in a direction of song structure, or does it offer more flexibillity than before?
Comparing a song like Madazulu with Evo Devo? What has changed the way you compose and use a sequencer?

Those are a lot of questions about the same topic, I hope that's ok with you.
Merci beaucoup!
Old 23rd September 2016
Hi Reptil,
I'll try to set my Cirklon ( and synths connected to it) so I can make a live performance, that's why I have 4 master Keyboards around me. So even with the Cirklon not running I can play and organize my sounds.
When I need to program a rythm or a loop modular), the Cirklon can record it in real time and I can still make a lot of change with sounds, random event (Cirklon aux tracks).
My use of the Buchla 250e is more like a "event sequencer" instead a "classical seq" I use it to introduce some "random cyclic" modulation on sounds.
Sharing Buchla patch...well... I'm using the Quantized Random votages from the 266e to control CV at the Stage addressing of the 250e, so I can have a random with some control on it...(hope it makes sense
It's maybe counterintuitive, but because of this setup architecture, I feel more free, not mentaly blocked on a 4 bars or 16 bars structure, as i said when I decide to capture the peformance, it's most of the time a stereo track in Logic, when the composition is done, I can later edit, add others tracks, produce in more classical way.
regarding Madazulu... sometime I just have melody coming when playing my piano, that's what happened with Oyme'song or Madazulu, vocal parts came later.
Old 23rd September 2016
Yes, it does make sense, thank you.
food for thought.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search