The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Bohemian Ballet's Production
Old 21st September 2016
Gear Maniac

Bohemian Ballet's Production

Greetings, Eric!

Thanks so much for participating in this forum. It's a real pleasure to have you here, as I've been listening to your music since I was a teenager (in the 90s).

One of my favorite pieces of yours has always been "Bohemian Ballet". Could you maybe talk a little about the background of this song, how it came together?

Also- I'd love to know what synths or samplers you used for the production. Those delayed pads and stabs are very melancholic and haunting!!

All the best,
Mike

PS- Congrats on the Deep India album! I'm an Indian musician (sarangi player), and I felt that you and Rahul Sharma really kept the spirit of the music while giving it a distinct twist. Not always easy to do. Bravo!!
Old 22nd September 2016
Hi Malkit, thanks for your kind message.
The Pads and stabs was done with the JD800, I recently play on my JD800 and the sounds of "Boheme" are still in the memory card, working perfectly (21 years later!).
The "Boheme" album is certainly my favorite DF album, I'm very proud of it. After the success of the first album, it was a challenge to make another one, not a copy but something to go further, it was quite obvious to make another"African vibes" album, but we decided to explore another part of the world ( eastern european country) and hopefully it was our best album ( Grammy and World Award). I recently played in these country (Ukraine, Bulgaria, Hungary, Russia) and there is something magical to me with their cultural music roots, and special mix of east and west influences, I love it. My musical master Joe Zawinul was from this part of Europe, he was a gypsy, and I can feel it in his music.
Old 22nd September 2016
Here for the gear

Thank you for these words about music culture of Eastern Europe.
It's really great but much known in Europe.
Old 22nd September 2016
Here for the gear

P.S. Personal thanks to Makit for this question.
Old 23rd September 2016
Gear Maniac

Eric!

Quick follow up- you mentioned, earlier, that the FZ1 (Casio) was among your favourite samplers.

What did you use it for? Can we hear it on any tracks?

I only ask because I just got one off of eBay!

;-)

Best,
Malkit
Old 23rd September 2016
I like the filter, with some resonance it gives that "old dirty" sound that I love especially on perc, drums Loop or on backing vocals. It's not the "best" for sample manipulation and it's quite limited for editing, but I like how it sounds...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search