The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Question for Eric-philosophy of Deep Forest and more
Old 16th September 2016
Here for the gear

Question for Eric-philosophy of Deep Forest and more

Hi from Moscow, Eric!
Thank you for Oyme's song!
I want to ask you about the very beginning of Deep Forest idea.
What drove you and Michel to make this synthesis of modern electronic rhythmes with traditional music? Were there any idea of unity of human civilization or it was mainly creative drive without any ideas?
Did you look (and what were and is your impression of them) at projects and artists which walked closer path of synthesis - as example, Enigma, Peter Gabriel?
Did you hear the albums which were recorded as echo of Deep Forest - as example "Kostroma" by Ivan Kupala or "Shepherd's Symphonie" by Popol Vuh? Your impressions?
And if it's not too much questions - your first video were made by famous director Tarsem Singh. Did you worked personally with him? If so - your impressions of this work.
Merci!
Old 18th September 2016
Hi Segey,
That's a lot of question
Quote:
"What drove you and Michel to make this synthesis of modern electronic rhythmes with traditional music?"
The sampler was a powerfull tool at that time to play with "natural" sounds We were sampling and recording a lot of material and I remember that the "Ethnic Library" available on Cd was a big source of inspiration. Using the sampler for Loops and for "one shot sampling", mixing it with bass line and pads was quite an obvious idea for us

Quote:
"Were there any idea of unity of human civilization or it was mainly creative drive without any ideas?"
I never had any kind of specific "human civilization" message with my music, but I really beleive that music has a strong power of evocation, so I'm glad people feels positive vibes coming from Deep Forest tracks.

Quote:
"Did you look (and what were and is your impression of them) at projects and artists which walked closer path of synthesis - as example, Enigma, Peter Gabriel?"
I'm a big fan of Peter Gabriel and I had chance to work with him, that was a big honnor. I can feel different level of composition and some are more close to my feeling than others...

Quote:
"Did you hear the albums which were recorded as echo of Deep Forest - as example "Kostroma" by Ivan Kupala or "Shepherd's Symphonie" by Popol Vuh? Your impressions?"
I know Ivan, I'm glad that we share same love for ethnic music with other musicians. Two weeks ago I met "Onuka" during a festival in Ukraine, I was really moved when they said that Deep Forest was a big inspiration for them, I can feel how they renew the idea of ethnic sampling in their music, I'm so proud of them.

Quote:
"And if it's not too much questions - your first video were made by famous director Tarsem Singh. Did you worked personally with him? If so - your impressions of this work."
Sony Music did a first video on Sweet Lullaby and I was not really fan of it, one day we got a call from Tarsem saying he wanted to make another video for the song, hopefully Sony accepted and when I discover the Tarsem version I was so happy, he completly deeply understood the vibe of that track.
Old 19th September 2016
Here for the gear

Merci, Eric!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search