The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Your mixing approach
Old 20th April 2012
Gear Maniac

Your mixing approach

Hello Jay!

I was wondering when mixing how do you usually start? Do you go with the drums first and then add the rest of the instruments based on their role in the mix or you just go with what you define as the focus of the song(vocals, solo etc.) and try to create a cohesive mix around that?
Old 20th April 2012
Q & A guest

Mixing approach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioContreras View Post
Hello Jay!

I was wondering when mixing how do you usually start? Do you go with the drums first and then add the rest of the instruments based on their role in the mix or you just go with what you define as the focus of the song(vocals, solo etc.) and try to create a cohesive mix around that?
Hey Mario,

If I'm going to mix something I haven't recorded, I always listen to a ruf mix, to get an idea of what the music is about. After I've done that, I generally start with drums, then bass (for Rock). Once they are feeling solid and connected, I'll add the rest of the track, leaving the vocals for last. For other genres, I sometimes just go for a balance of what's recorded and see what that sounds like. Once you add a compressor or EQ to one track, it changes the overall balance of things. If a mix is dragging on, and still not sounding good, I'll sometimes remove all plug-ins and outboard, and see if I've improved on the 'raw' tracks. There is something very clean about tracks that have no processing on them. That is not to say that you never use outboard processing. It just means if you insert a plug-in, make sure you are improving the sound.
Old 20th April 2012
Gear Maniac

I see! Thanks for clearing that up!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search