The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording The Hollies
Old 21st May 2010
Lives for gear

Recording The Hollies

In the early-mid 70's I was at school and became a huge fan of both the Hollies and Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel. Here in New Zealand the Hollies were hugely popular, and Cocknet Rebel's "Make me smile" was big too.
When i-robot came out I had to have it as both Alan Clarke and Steve Harley sung on it. The perfect choice vocalists for the songs by the way I think. It wasn't till 1980 that I really dicovered Pink Floyd, and subsequently they became my favourite band. Dark Side of the Moon still stands out to me as close to the best sounding record ever made. My 3 grown-up kids all own copies of it, and I sometimes use it as a reference when mixing my own music.
Thank You for such great recordings. But as there are enough PF questions coming through, I thought I'd ask about working with The Hollies. What was it like working with those guys? Did you have any idea that "The Air That I Breathe" would become their biggest hit? Any interesting memories from recording them?
Old 1st June 2010
Special guest

Just that they were the ultimate professionals - always on time, always amenable and good at their jobs. Their producer Ron Richards always knew a hit song when he heard it and The Air That I Breathe was one of those occasions when he said "What A Song" after hearing the Phil Everly version - whenever he said that we knew we had a monster hit. The previous time was for He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother. Good times.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search