The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mics and survival
Old 4th May 2011
Mics and survival

Firstly, I just finished your book and it was a very informative and eye-opening read. Thanks!

1. Given all the great vintage mics that you used over and over, U87, U67, etc. as well as the ever present SM57 for drums, and given all of the new choices that have been made available in recent years, do you have any new favorite mic that was not available back in the day?

2. Just wondering how you survived all of the long hours, difficult personalities, lack of sleep, not to mention the drugs. And for what seems like a long time, very inadequate compensation compared to the skills you brought to the table. Do you still have the same verve for being a recording and mixing engineer as you did when you started?

"diamond jim"
Old 6th May 2011
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondjim View Post
Firstly, I just finished your book and it was a very informative and eye-opening read. Thanks!

1. Given all the great vintage mics that you used over and over, U87, U67, etc. as well as the ever present SM57 for drums, and given all of the new choices that have been made available in recent years, do you have any new favorite mic that was not available back in the day?

2. Just wondering how you survived all of the long hours, difficult personalities, lack of sleep, not to mention the drugs. And for what seems like a long time, very inadequate compensation compared to the skills you brought to the table. Do you still have the same verve for being a recording and mixing engineer as you did when you started?

"diamond jim"
Thanks - I'm glad you enjoyed the book.
1 Hard to beat some of the mic's from the 1950's/60's. I love the Sony C48 - a remake of the C37 - came out in the early 1980's. I use it a lot on drums, acoustic instruments, some vocals.
2 A good constitution I guess, or just lucky. I don't know how we did the 18 hour days, poor diet etc. House Engineers were paid pretty badly, as assistants are today. The 'business' has changed so much its difficult to have the same excitement of the 1970's - a very free and innocent time. Strangely I still love recording, and still do 12 hour days.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search