The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
  Options
Views: 866
30th June 2020
Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post

A big GS welcome to John Hanes - here's some background on his career and some reading on what he's been up to...

Whitecat
replies: 4 views: 2,731
Oroz 2 weeks ago

We are having an absolute blast - this Q+A has been excellent and there are still loads of Qs in the pipeline, so with John’s...

Whitecat
replies: 13 views: 1,015
citytape 3 weeks ago

Just in case you are new to our Q+A formats...! === 1) All questions and followup questions are moderated in advance......

Whitecat
replies: 0 views: 1,068
Whitecat 28th May 2020

From the whole team here at Gearslutz, we'd like to just say thanks again to John for an absolutely exceptional Q+A. We really...

Whitecat
replies: 1 views: 897
TheHanes 2 weeks ago

Hi John, I'm a big fan of your work! I would like to ask you the measurements of your mixing room? Thanks a lot!

victoredmundo
replies: 5 views: 1,004
Oroz 2 weeks ago

Hi John, Just wondering how you create realistic modern vocal "doubles", or stereo width on vocals when perhaps you...

CanadaSC1
replies: 1 views: 847
TheHanes 2 weeks ago

Hi John Im enjoying this Q&A very much. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. Im really looking up to you guys and the...

musicmixer04
replies: 1 views: 591
TheHanes 2 weeks ago

UAD

Hey John, thanks for this wonderful Q&A, highlight of the year so far. rockout As you mentioned quite a few times here...

bobbl
replies: 2 views: 816
bobbl 2 weeks ago

Hi. Thank you so much for doing this. I mix alot of rock music with bands who record at home or in rehearsal rooms. The...

mattias78
replies: 1 views: 715
TheHanes 2 weeks ago

Hi John! Thank you so much for doing this, I wanted to know your point of view in regards to sample rate differences, if...

prog
replies: 1 views: 561
TheHanes 2 weeks ago

Hey John, just wondering if there's any things you always do differently for eg a song with a hip-hop lead production (808s etc)...

SongsByGROVER
replies: 1 views: 602
TheHanes 2 weeks ago

Hi John, A short question - do you make much use of transient designers on the rhythm section or other instrumentation (and if...

TLS
replies: 1 views: 1,029
TheHanes 2 weeks ago

Hello John Hanes, you guys clearly saw the future as far as mixing ITB, how do you see the mixing/recording/production aspect of...

Young.baws
replies: 1 views: 691
TheHanes 2 weeks ago

Hey John, Thanks for doing this! It's been a blast to read your answers. I'm wondering how your mixing has changed over time -...

jah279
replies: 1 views: 820
TheHanes 2 weeks ago

What sampling rates are used in productions like Max Martin and other big guys?

blue
replies: 6 views: 1,532
RightOnRome 2 weeks ago
replies: - views: -
TheHanes 2 weeks ago

Hello John Hanes, Thank you again for extending this Q&A! It’s much appreciated. Are you familiar to you use multiple...

Young.baws
replies: 14 views: 1,950
TheHanes 2 weeks ago

Hello John, Thank you so much for taking the time to do this Q and A! I'm still very new to mixing, and was wondering what...

A1T2D3
replies: 1 views: 591
TheHanes 2 weeks ago

Hello John, wanted to know what version of Pro Tools do you guys work off of? Is it HDX or just Native. Also, are you guys Mac...

M2E
replies: 3 views: 768
TheHanes 2 weeks ago

Thanks for a great Q&A! How long do you typically spend on a mix? Is it a case of doing the mix in a single session and...

J-S-Q
replies: 3 views: 1,488
TheHanes 2 weeks ago

John, it's so wonderful to see you here. Thank you for your responses. I wanted to know how do you keep your ears healthy by...

postykish
replies: 1 views: 682
TheHanes 2 weeks ago

Hi John, Thanks for doing the Q&A! I notice you use a lot of 1/4 not delays on vocals. I was wondering if you are using...

LiamMcCluskey
replies: 1 views: 894
TheHanes 2 weeks ago

Hi John! Thanks for agreeing to do this. People like Mike Senior of The Mix Review have made a living out of tracing...

porgporgporg
replies: 1 views: 793
TheHanes 2 weeks ago

Hi John! As I mix more and more, I am realizing the beauty of an open, clear, and controlled mid range in a great mix. A lot...

aidanthillmann
replies: 1 views: 919
TheHanes 2 weeks ago

Hello John Hanes, Do you have any tips to get emotionally connected to a song? Lets say, every aspect of the song is on top...

Young.baws
replies: 2 views: 529
Young.baws 2 weeks ago

Thanks again for doing this, its been great to hear your knowledge! You guys always deliver mixes where song sections build...

Dias
replies: 1 views: 529
TheHanes 2 weeks ago

Hi John Speaking about pop music with electronic programmed drums, do you tend to send all drums to a drum bus for some final...

jakelorenz
replies: 1 views: 869
TheHanes 2 weeks ago

Hi John, Many thanks for your time! I wondered whether you consider the cohesiveness of the tracks as a whole whilst...

ollieneedham
replies: 4 views: 907
TheHanes 2 weeks ago

Hey John! First of all, this is some of the most helpful content I've come across in a LONG time, specifically the bits about...

libertine
replies: 3 views: 781
TheHanes 2 weeks ago

Hi John, Thank you so much for doing this Q&A - it's really appreciated finally pulling back the curtain a little when you...

TLS
replies: 16 views: 4,393
TheHanes 2 weeks ago

hi john, really appreciate that you are doing this. do you use codec auditioning tool such as sonnox pro codec, or something...

coldvodka
replies: 1 views: 516
TheHanes 2 weeks ago

Hi John! Big thanks for doing this Q&A. I'm wondering what the process is like for mixing songs that were produced in...

TeleMA50c
replies: 3 views: 940
TheHanes 2 weeks ago

Hi John, When you get several tracks of the same thing, such as 4 different drum rooms, or a snare consisting of 3 different...

spankjam
replies: 3 views: 885
TheHanes 2 weeks ago

hi, thank you so much for doing this. what is the song that you mixed that you are most proud of? i was trying to find some...

coldvodka
replies: 9 views: 1,254
TheHanes 2 weeks ago

Hi John. I understand that some mixes are more easy to mix than others, but can you say which one was the most challenging to mix...

SPORT
replies: 2 views: 797
SPORT 2 weeks ago

Hi John, Thanks for sharing! A quick one: do you use the MH CS3 limiter for anything, or would you use a dedicated plugin?...

b0se
replies: 2 views: 1,040
b0se 2 weeks ago

Hi John, first of all many thanks for doing this Q&A! As a young engineer your and Serbans work is a BIG inspiration to...

Tommiiii
replies: 5 views: 1,186
TheHanes 2 weeks ago

Hi John, I really appreciate you taking the time to do this Q&A, I've been keeping a close eye on it all week. As someone...

JanetB
replies: 4 views: 1,432
TheHanes 3 weeks ago

Hi John, A big thank you for doing this :) Doing this for a long time with a constant flow of work, how do you stay fresh...

gainreduction
replies: 1 views: 631
TheHanes 3 weeks ago

Hi John Many thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge of working with music! It must be great having your best...

frenzy
replies: 1 views: 578
TheHanes 3 weeks ago

Hey John! First of all, thank you so much for doing this and so generously sharing your expertise with all of us. It's really...

kaleida
replies: 1 views: 778
TheHanes 3 weeks ago

Thanks so much for doing this! I was curious to how you approach parallel processing specifically on vocals and drums. Is that...

time2mix.com
replies: 1 views: 827
TheHanes 3 weeks ago

Hi John, Thanks for taking the time to do this Wondering how you are getting to the DK Audio Meter from Pro Tools. Are you...

ryno1
replies: 1 views: 561
TheHanes 3 weeks ago

Hi John, thanks a lot for doing this. Do you like to use plugins that emulate consoles? I’m talking about plugins that generate...

Oroz
replies: 1 views: 1,356
TheHanes 3 weeks ago

Hello, John! Could you share with us some info about the computer(s) you use (hardware, OS)? How do you do the backups? Do...

jetam
replies: 2 views: 879
jetam 3 weeks ago

Mr. Hanes, Thank you for participating in this Q&A. I appreciate someone of your stature taking the time to do this. I...

Bias Mike
replies: 2 views: 462
Bias Mike 3 weeks ago

Hello John Hanes, Thank you so much for your time on this forum. I'd like to know if you dither your mix 24bit prior...

Young.baws
replies: 3 views: 957
TheHanes 3 weeks ago

Hello John Hanes, Thank you so much for taking the time and energy to share your knowledge! I always learn something new when...

Young.baws
replies: 2 views: 794
Young.baws 3 weeks ago

Obviously one of the biggest challenges of getting a great mix is how well it translates everywhere. What are the tried and true...

MattyJoe
replies: 1 views: 889
TheHanes 3 weeks ago

Hello John- Thanks so much for doing this. One thing that strikes me with records you've worked on is an incredible...

RyanC
replies: 1 views: 994
TheHanes 3 weeks ago

Hi John, thank you for sharing your knowledge. Do you think it is useful to mix into a limiter from the very beginning of the...

mix_dome
replies: 26 views: 6,095
TheHanes 3 weeks ago

Hello John Hanes, Thank you again for extending this Q&A! It’s much appreciated. Are you familiar to you use multiple...

Young.baws
replies: - views: -
Young.baws 3 weeks ago

I was curious how you deal with ambience. Mainly with vocals, but really all instruments. I understand if a producer sends you...

thepilgrimsdream
replies: 8 views: 2,125
TheHanes 3 weeks ago

Forum Tools
Search this Forum
Search this Forum :

Advanced Search