The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Itb 100%?
Old 28th May 2020

Itb 100%?

Hi John, many many thanks for doing this. Really looking forward to read all the questions and answers.

I’d love to know if you’re mixing ITB 100% or do you still use a couple of hardware units in your system? I did saw a 33609 in the The Weekend’s Dolby Atmos Mix article. If you do use it (maybe it’s just sitting in the rack), how do you use it? Mix bus? Drum bus? Something else?

It’s been an ancient doubt among fellow gearslutz and engineers in general and I’d love to finally know. Not that knowing that would change our end results radically but this is the place where we get to geek out about this type of things.

Thanks in advance. Best regards!
Old 1st June 2020
Special Guest

Hi Oroz,

I know this is the BIG Question!

Yes! 100% in the box mixing. The 'bounce to disk' is what is sent to clients and to mastering. Never touches analog in the mix, no external summing, no console. Everything is routed out the A 1-2 Master Fader.

Now, on occasion, and this is getting very rare, there might be an insert on the master fader. That is what the Neve 33609/J has been used for. But before anyone goes out and buys one because we have it; I think that last time we used it on the insert was maybe 4 years ago!

We are also using the Avid HD I/O, and internal clock. Because there is no D/A and A/D conversions happening, aside from going to the monitors and external meter, we don't need any fancier digital converters or clocking.

Thanks,

John Hanes
Old 1st June 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHanes View Post
Hi Oroz,

I know this is the BIG Question!

Yes! 100% in the box mixing. The 'bounce to disk' is what is sent to clients and to mastering. Never touches analog in the mix, no external summing, no console. Everything is routed out the A 1-2 Master Fader.

Now, on occasion, and this is getting very rare, there might be an insert on the master fader. That is what the Neve 33609/J has been used for. But before anyone goes out and buys one because we have it; I think that last time we used it on the insert was maybe 4 years ago!

We are also using the Avid HD I/O, and internal clock. Because there is no D/A and A/D conversions happening, aside from going to the monitors and external meter, we don't need any fancier digital converters or clocking.

Thanks,

John Hanes
Thanks a lot for answering John. That’s actually how we work at our studio, so it’s a bit comforting I won’t lie.

Best regards!
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear