The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Drum processing
Old 14th February 2017
Here for the gear

Drum processing

Hi David,

I often got the impression that eq-ing a kick drum removes automatically its impact and punch. Even if it's only removing resonances. What is your experience?

Thank you!
Manuel
Old 17th February 2017
Special Guest

never ending story isn't it?
i think it really depends a lot on the kind of music you are making and what the purpose of the track is.
sometimes you hear kickdrums that are filtered way down but they still carry a let's say dub techno track quite nicely, but the same kick would totally drown in a fuller, more mid range heavy arrangement.
then there are (disco or 70s funk, but especially 80s) tracks that feature a very thin and clicky kickdrum but in combination with a big and low end heavy bassline, the track still sound round and right.
my personal experience is that in most cases the kick could be a couple of decibel softer and then rather not eq it - even, if it has some resonances...
i would neither consider myself an expert in mixing in general nor kick drums in particular.
for me it is much easier to mix them or whole tracks "live" on a club system - only then i cen really tell how loud, bassy and heavy the kick really is.
recordings of (my) livesets usually sound a lot leaner than my studio mixes and this phenomena is caused by how i set the levels alone, it doesn't have to do so much with the eqing of a channel / the kick drum.
i think in a live mix on a bigger system the whole set of drums tends to be a bit softer and the kick especially - which adds to a certain lightness.
also in a club enviroment i'm sometimes not shy to bring in some clanging hihats, cymbals or claps, whereas in the studio i tend to keep them rather mute and often too muffled...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search