The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How to start releasing underground music
Old 14th February 2017
Gear Maniac
How to start releasing underground music

Hi David, huge admirer of your music here, been playing your vinyls for a long time and for the last three years i've been in the production world. do you have any tips for newcomers to start releasing music on decent underground labels? how can we make it there, what should we try ? is sending demos actually works with some of the more decent labels or they choose whom they'll release upfront ?
Cheers
Old 18th February 2017
Special Guest

hey viktor,
good question and i guess hard to answer - especially, as i was in your situation at the beginning of the 90s.
i guess due to the fact that the whole "techno" industry was just emerging, the number of labels seemed a lot smaller and their reportoire a lot more focussed on a very specific style or genre (be it strictly rhythm or harthouse). that's why we decided back then, not to even try sending out demos, but doing it ourselves and starting our own little label. ie finding our own niche or "sharing our vision"...
the whole process of shopping and promoting your own music was a lot different then. arguably harder. but when we ran source rexords in the 90s, we were actually trying to catch up with the demos people were sending.
nowadays i am receiving so many demos - despite the fact that i don't even actively run a label at this point - even if i wanted to - i would never have the time to listen to all of them...
taling from my experience, people seem to be most successful, when handing me their self pressed first record. these i will always give a listen at some point and i love playing them because it is a good feeling playing tracks that no one else has heard yet. in some cases people have picked up on these when they appear in my mixes online...
however, there is no guarantee for anything and it could be a total waste of money, personally i think that self releasing still is very legit!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search