The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Favorite piece of Gear
Old 9th June 2016
Gear Addict

Favorite piece of Gear

I remember finding "Tilted" at the Virgin Super Store in Paris Summer in 1998 and being incredibly inspired and following your music since (more please!). Thank you for that!

What is your favorite piece of gear for inspiration ?

ps Do you still own a Fairlight ?
Old 10th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthpunk View Post
I remember finding "Tilted" at the Virgin Super Store in Paris Summer in 1998 and being incredibly inspired and following your music since (more please!). Thank you for that!

What is your favorite piece of gear for inspiration ?

ps Do you still own a Fairlight ?
Thanks
I'm glad to have inspired you !

With gear it does vary a bit. New toys are always fun..I got a Phenol last year and really got a kick pout of such a small but unique and flexible synth.
I mean I LOVE my ARP 2600 (I guess it is my favourite synth at least as far as usefulness and power) but I think as I have had to for 25 years, it's hard to call it inspiring every day :-)
I think any decent modular inspires me though. It's still an exciting way to work for me. I tend to make relatively simple patches and then try and warp them in a subtle way. I don't really go for stuff that jumps out. I like interesting but musical sounds.
For the minute I do get a lot out of my Fenix II and III system. It's a bit fiddly to use, but it sounds great and is packed full of modules and the sequencer is extremely deep.

I still own some Fairlights
I have a CMI I in storage that needs a rebuild (I think it's the 6th one they built), and my IIx and Series III have just been restored and I am going to collect them soon. I decided to get them upgraded at the same time (quieter fans, cf card drives, extra RAM in the III). My next release will certainly be using them. I love the Fairlights. It was a huge dream of mine to get my IIx. I got it 20 years ago after lusting after them for years. I was 15 in 1980 and from then on, owning a Fairlight was about as likely as me marrying Kim Basinger. The prices were at a low in the 90's, so I jumped. Love it. The series III is an amazing sounding machine though..much more high tech and powerful.
I am hoping they will be inspiring again

One piece of outboard I would call inspiring is the Eventide H3000 D/SE. It's such a powerful effects unit. I use that all the time.
Cheers
David
Old 10th June 2016
Gear Addict

Your use of the Roland R8 on yours and Andreas albums has always blown me away.
Old 11th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthpunk View Post
Your use of the Roland R8 on yours and Andreas albums has always blown me away.

Thanks!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search