The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
golden girls - kinetic - Morley's Apollo mix
Old 8th June 2016
Here for the gear

golden girls - kinetic - Morley's Apollo mix

^i'd love to know everything about this piece.

soundwise i "have to" know how the minorish synth timbre entering @ 2:20 was made. (@ 4:29 it comes back, even more upfront as the the upper keys are more apparent in the mix)

i've heard a similar timbre once in Biosphere's "cloudwalker II" track but that's it, cant remember hearing it anywhere else, and i love this timbre for almost 20 yrs now..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htd3TtuZ8WM
^here at 1:50 - either very similar, or even the same thing, who knows.

_ _ _ _

wouldnt mind knowing what the upper strings in "kinetic" were made with too and the leads, well - everything you can "share" will be noted down.

great track (song) and the production is excellent in every way imo.
Old 9th June 2016
Lives for gear

This is going to be a let down
That is the only sample i used from the original I believe so I don't know!
The strings I used a lot throughout those years were a sample I made of my Jen string machine in my Roland s-750. I layered it, Detuned it and had a bit of the Roland filter going. I love that sound still. Most leads are the Minimoog. A fair bit of Yamaha tx816 in those tracks too.
Cheers
David.
Old 9th June 2016
Lives for gear

I was hoping someone would bring this amazing track up. Thanks for the insight, David.
Old 9th June 2016
Here for the gear

haha i'm dumb, literally :D

the Apollo mix is the only one i ever liked therefore i completely pushed the other mixes out of my memory, and indeed the original takes off with this synth playing solo for a few bars..

i've never had my hands on any s-7xx or 5xx - apparently they can sound great in the right hands.
Old 10th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by a pair of ears View Post

the Apollo mix is the only one i ever liked therefore i completely pushed the other mixes out of my memory, and indeed the original takes off with this synth playing solo for a few bars..

i've never had my hands on any s-7xx or 5xx - apparently they can sound great in the right hands.
No problem! Glad you like the mix. I was pleased with it too.
I think the S-750 is a great sampler. I never got on with the Akai S1000 which was he most common one at the time. I thought it sounded harsh and I much preferred the Roland operating system (although I might be the only one!)
Old 10th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by a pair of ears View Post

Hey now, the Cubic 22 mix is brilliant, a rave classic. I don't think Frank De Wulf added much of significance to his mix though...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search