The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Distortion
Old 8th June 2016
Gear Head

Distortion

Hi David,

since 1999 I desperately wanted to know how you achieved the distortion you use, especially in Andrea Parkers "Ballbreaker" and "Melodious Thunk". Those are some of the most beautifully distorted sounds I've ever heard. I chase that sound since, never came close! Any hint would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Wayan
Old 8th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrawelt View Post
Hi David,

since 1999 I desperately wanted to know how you achieved the distortion you use, especially in Andrea Parkers "Ballbreaker" and "Melodious Thunk". Those are some of the most beautifully distorted sounds I've ever heard. I chase that sound since, never came close! Any hint would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Wayan
Hi Wayan!
Thanks. I'm glad you like them!

The absolute main thing is this

I almost always used my 2600 for kicks and heavy stuff and I would take the filter output (usually self resonating or on the edge) and pass it through the preamp in the 2600 to drive it and then route it back into the synth. The filter on the last series of 2600's is amazing for percussive sounds and driving it with the preamp was a huge part of that sound. I am not a fan of harsh distortion sounds and somehow the ARP get's nasty and heavy without getting harsh.

Then I would quite often drive my recording console input. Around that time I was using a Tascam M3500, which many people think of as less than great, but for electronic music, it was great. The preamps would drive nicely.

On "Ballbreaker" for example at 3 mins it is the 2600 using the loopback preamp trick.. At 3.20 that is the my ARP Odyssey which is quite rare as it has an ARP factory multimode filter and that is driving the desk hard.
No outboard overdrives or distortion effects though.

Cheers
David
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search