The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Great memories ! ~ Mixing desks?
Old 7th June 2016
  #1
Lives for gear
 

Great memories ! ~ Mixing desks?

Hey David ! I got such a nice memory from 11 years ago when I bought the Trident 65 from you. You had such amazing pieces of gear in your huge barn studio. The metal grey MCI console from Kraftwerk, the gigantic Polyfusion modular, the Fairlight etc. etc. I'm still lusing the console to this day....
1
Share
Old 12th June 2016
  #2
Hi David,
didn't know you used a Trident desk.
Can I ask you what mixing desks you've owned and used over the years, and what is your opinion?
Did that influence your sound? What do you work with right now? What's your "dream desk"?
Thanks!!
Old 12th June 2016
  #3
Lives for gear
 
dlmorley's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Luminous View Post
Hey David ! I got such a nice memory from 11 years ago when I bought the Trident 65 from you. You had such amazing pieces of gear in your huge barn studio. The metal grey MCI console from Kraftwerk, the gigantic Polyfusion modular, the Fairlight etc. etc. I'm still lusing the console to this day....
Hi Jack
I remember the day you took my baby away!
Seriously that was a cool desk.
It was a 16 channel Trident 65. Does it still live in Paris?
Old 12th June 2016
  #4
Lives for gear
 
dlmorley's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Hi David,
didn't know you used a Trident desk.
Can I ask you what mixing desks you've owned and used over the years, and what is your opinion?
Did that influence your sound? What do you work with right now? What's your "dream desk"?
Thanks!!
I have been through TONS of desks. I seem to have a problem
First was my Tascam 3500 which I used for years.
Then I had a huge Soundcraft TS24
Then I found a large ABE custom desk. Apparently it came from a well known hamburg studio..
I can't remember them all. There was a Tactile Technologies M4000 (?), the Trident, my MCI JH618, D&R Orion, Chilton Q3 (I had 4 of them!) Siemens C3 and recently a large Siemens Sitral. I still use the D&R Orion as it sounds good, is practical, clean, doesn't take up that much space and has loads of inputs. I also still have the MCI JH618 and Siemens.
I don't know why I do this! It's not sensible.
I just love mixing desks and for sure they are central to how things sound.
My dream desk is tough. If I was ordering new I would Probably call ADT in Germany. A classic Neve would be cool. I think as far as features and practicality goes, an SSL AWS would be pretty amazing.
I'd still probably say that my MCI JH618 is my dream desk due to it's history (ex Kling Klang studios). That is special to me.
I think to trump that I would need to have the desk from the Manor studios that was used for "Rubycon" by Tangerine Dream.
3
Share
Old 12th June 2016
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
Hi Jack
I remember the day you took my baby away!
Seriously that was a cool desk.
It was a 16 channel Trident 65. Does it still live in Paris?
Yeah it is a cool desk ! It lives happily in my project studio in Paris, recording some jazz, New-Orleans blues, indie rock and even some acoustic medieval music !
1
Share
Old 13th June 2016
  #6
Lives for gear
 
dlmorley's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Luminous View Post
Yeah it is a cool desk ! It lives happily in my project studio in Paris, recording some jazz, New-Orleans blues, indie rock and even some acoustic medieval music !
Excellent!
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump