The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Prophet-5 DX-7 Special Relationship
Old 6th June 2016
Lives for gear

Prophet-5 DX-7 Special Relationship

Hello David!

My question also concerns layering. You've said the combination of the Prophet-5 and the Yamaha DX-7 are special for you. I was wondering if you could elaborate a bit on this -- for example, what makes it special for you? Why does it work for you, both emotionally and technically? What do you suppose is happening in the ear/brain that makes them work so well together? I ask because I also feel it is a special relationship.

Cheers,
Clark
Old 6th June 2016
Lives for gear

Hello Clark and thanks for the Question!
to be honest I think there are a few factors at work here! When I first started using the Propeht 5, I was amazed at how easy it was to create musical sounds with it. I have never been interested in bombastic sounds particularly so the fact to me that the prophet was rich yet subtle, seemed to be what my ear preferred, whilst still being an amazingly flexible and deep synth. Having said that, as it is subtle, it is an excellent basis for layering. The DX7 is my guilty sin. Now I am the first to admit that it can sound nasty if left in isolation sometimes (not always, as it was also a favourite of mine for bass too, as on "Stardancer") but the way it doesn't push the Prophet into the background and the way even just a touch of it sits in a different frequency range and enhances the sound is wonderful to me. Sometimes you only miss it when it is gone. A tiny bit goes a long way with a dx7.
There is also a practical side which is perhaps odd but true. If the Prophet 5 is on it's own, the 5 note limit is an issue when dealing with long release sounds and the simple fact that the DX7 is layering it means I could use a sound on the dx7 that, at least in a mix, covers the notes being cut off whilst also enhancing the sound.
And yes you are right. The brain likes the interaction of the 2 for some reason. It just works.
Cheers
David.
Old 8th June 2016
Lives for gear

Great! Thank you, David!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
The DX7 is my guilty sin. Now I am the first to admit that it can sound nasty if left in isolation sometimes (not always, as it was also a favourite of mine for bass too, as on "Stardancer")
I didn't realize you used the DX for bass on Stardancer. Listening again tonight, I think I can recognize it now! Sounds really good!

Quote:
The brain likes the interaction of the 2 for some reason. It just works.
Indeed. What I've noticed is how the relationship is not simply a complimentary one where say a "warm analog" like the Prophet compliments the "cold digital" DX-7. It's more like they fuse together and form one. What I especially appreciate about the Prophet-5 REV3 (I believe you also use a REV3) is how it can be both warm and cold at the same time -- very much like the DX, actually!

I hear this in your music -- this coming together of warm and cold -- usually the cause of storms -- but in this case, the calm right before it.
Old 9th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Great! Thank you, David!

I didn't realize you used the DX for bass on Stardancer. Listening again tonight, I think I can recognize it now! Sounds really good!

Indeed. What I've noticed is how the relationship is not simply a complimentary one where say a "warm analog" like the Prophet compliments the "cold digital" DX-7. It's more like they fuse together and form one. What I especially appreciate about the Prophet-5 REV3 (I believe you also use a REV3) is how it can be both warm and cold at the same time -- very much like the DX, actually!

I hear this in your music -- this coming together of warm and cold -- usually the cause of storms -- but in this case, the calm right before it.
Indeed. It's not that each synth does its thing. It's a synergy of the two. It really works as one IMHO. Of course I am certain this applies to other synths too. The crazy thing is how little of something you need to add to create something that stands in its own.
It's also not about among things "fat", it's more about making things unique.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search