The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Most inspiring routine/setup change?
Old 5th June 2016
Gear Maniac

Most inspiring routine/setup change?

Was there a point over the years where you changed either your studio setup or your general music-making routine/workflow and then felt that the change had a positive impact on your creative output?

i.e. moved into a new studio and suddenly felt inspired to make different music, bought a new synth then made 100 tracks with it, etc.
Old 6th June 2016
Lives for gear

Hi there and thanks for the question
To be honest, I was constantly changing my setup through necessity really. Almost all the artists I knew and worked alongside, certainly in the 90s where using used gear and if you have a track that sold, you could buy some gear. Likewise in lean periods, you had to sell stuff.
Having said that, the core of my setup has always had the following

Prophet 5
Arp 2600
Tr808
DX7

I have always had other stuff and some has stayed long term (odyssey and Minimoog for example) but the ones listed have always given me the confidence to know that i can't blame the gear! If I can't make some good music with those machines, they aren't the problem.
but as you mention, of course if you get a nice synth, it can be inspirational and of course you get bored sometimes with the machines you know the best.
For me it is more about what is going on around me that affects my output more. Friends, family, money, health etc. They affect me.
Of course, if I look back to the late 90s, I had a crazy amount of great gear and i loved having all those machines ( many cool modulars and vintage stuff) but I was more productive in the early 90s than then and I sold lots of it to help pay for my house :-(
But you touch on one thing which still drives me crazy. Workflow. It is so hard to get a perfect workflow. I battle with that still. I am slowly coming to the conclusion that the computer is not good for my workflow. It's very efficient and allows us to do amazing things but I still prefer recording the long winded way of playing things in live and either using a tape machine or hardware recorder, or I use a hardware sequencer and go straight to 2 track. I am actually looking for a decent 16 track tape machine for that very reason.
I get sidetracked, I always have done, but if I have gear that does one thing well and nothing else, I am better off. I also think that with the state of the record business today and added to the fact that what I do only potentially earns any real money from use in film and tv (and those gigs are tough to get these days), I might as well have a studio that is fun and inspiring rather than simply efficient
Cheers!
David
Old 6th June 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
I might as well have a studio that is fun and inspiring rather than efficient.
!!!!
Old 7th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold View Post
!!!!
Of course efficiency is nice but I meant that shouldn't be the main reason for using something. Simply efficient is what is should have said.
I only get inspired with gear that I can get my teeth into.
Would love to hear your thoughts though as to why I shocked you ;-)
Old 7th June 2016
Lives for gear
Not so much that it shocked me. I was exclaiming for emphasis. I just thought that it is just a very fundamental truth in this day and age where most anything is possible with sound, the choice is how you get there. Seeking fun and inspiration is IMO the best path. Cause if you're not feeling either of those, it clearly comes across in the music, and I'm all for being inspired and joyful.

I get the feeling that there are a lot producers that are dissatisfied with their process for making music. Maybe we should be applying the 'marie kondo' approach and be asking does this tool bring us joy and if not, get rid of it.

Of course what we find fun and inspiring changes over time, and we need to keep a pulse on where we're at and how we feel about what we're doing.

I know that at one point, I wouldn't have considered algorithmic sysex manipulation to be 'fun' but once you're comfortable with it...
Old 8th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
But you touch on one thing which still drives me crazy. Workflow. It is so hard to get a perfect workflow. I battle with that still. I am slowly coming to the conclusion that the computer is not good for my workflow.
I can relate to this strongly. Yes, the computer is a powerful tool, but the vast majority of my music making happens away from it. This has been the case since I was four years old and first began playing piano!

So, would you say the roots and subsequent evolution of your own musicality and compositional process are factors in why a computer driven workflow doesn't quite work for you?
Old 9th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
I can relate to this strongly. Yes, the computer is a powerful tool, but the vast majority of my music making happens away from it. This has been the case since I was four years old and first began playing piano!

So, would you say the roots and subsequent evolution of your own musicality and compositional process are factors in why a computer driven workflow doesn't quite work for you?
Absolutely. I think all artists question themselves constantly and I think a big question is "why do I do this?" and for me it is to do with wanting to relive the early moments of excitement when I started seeing what a studio could do and I'm the first to admit I am nostalgic for those days. I have seen the evolution of the the studio since the early 80s and it has become faster, more efficient, more democratic and easier to record for sure, but more fun? Are the sonics more musical? Is the process more creative? I'm not sure.
Old 9th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold View Post
Not so much that it shocked me. I was exclaiming for emphasis. I just thought that it is just a very fundamental truth in this day and age where most anything is possible with sound, the choice is how you get there. Seeking fun and inspiration is IMO the best path. Cause if you're not feeling either of those, it clearly comes across in the music, and I'm all for being inspired and joyful.

I get the feeling that there are a lot producers that are dissatisfied with their process for making music. Maybe we should be applying the 'marie kondo' approach and be asking does this tool bring us joy and if not, get rid of it.

Of course what we find fun and inspiring changes over time, and we need to keep a pulse on where we're at and how we feel about what we're doing.

I know that at one point, I wouldn't have considered algorithmic sysex manipulation to be 'fun' but once you're comfortable with it...
Very good points and yes I agree that being inspired and enjoying the process (even if it is inefficient or challenging) is something fundamental. perhaps I am just thinking that as it becomes easier for anyone to make "music" by having a daw that puts any loops you drag and drop into key and tempo and a large library of pre recorded loops or patches available, I need to challenge myself and not get lazy. A DAW can really direct you in a certain direction if you let it. This is simply for myself however. I am certain there are plenty of artists out there who create incredible stuff ITB with no hardware, but it's just not for me..
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search