The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Politics&Thoughts&Prices
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Politics&Thoughts&Prices

Hi Dave! Thanks for enlightening us another time, highly appreciated!!!

I have some questions abot the "other stuff" than mixing techniques. First up are politics:

1) How do you react when people want changes? How many changes will you do for them without charging them extra? Especially interested in those requests that are totally unnecessary but the client wants to hear it because they know it is possible.

2) Did people request more changes when you were less famous?

3) You do not have to answer this one, but if it is ok with you I would really love to know what the rate is for mixing one song in your league. How much do you charge for a major label mix, an indie mix etc...fell free not to answer this as it is pretty personal business stuff!

4) How did you become a "go-to" guy for the top acts? I know it takes more than skills alone. Establishing a good relationship with the decision makers at the labels might be as important as skills. Am I on the right track with this?

Thanks a lot & all the best! You ROCK!
Pat
Old 15th September 2008
Guest Moderator - September 08

Hey, Jules, I wrote a long answer to this question. Did it vanish, or did I screw up. I like this question a lot and thought I had a good answer????? If we can't find it, I will answer it again.
Old 15th September 2008
Lives for gear

Old 16th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pensado View Post
Hey, Jules, I wrote a long answer to this question. Did it vanish, or did I screw up. I like this question a lot and thought I had a good answer????? If we can't find it, I will answer it again.

1. With protools and stems, changes are a part of mixing now. I usually do all the changes people ask for. Sometimes the changes take more time than the mix. Just think that the more services you provide the more your clients are gonna always come to you. It does get on my nerves, but NOT mixing gets on my nerves even more. If I know I have a client that makes a lot of changes, I try to involve him in the mix process much sooner. I also might not finish every detail until we pull up the stems and do his changes. BTW we print every track as it's own stem, and print efx on their own stem.

2. Not really, because back then it you had changes, you had to pay for a recall. This is one instance where the technology has made it worse for us engineers.

3. Most guys at my level try to get $4k a mix. Some of the top in the box guys get 5-6k all in. (all in means the engineer is responsible for studio costs). On some indie and lower budget projects, the rate can go down to 2k. If I have a good client that needs a favor, i will mix for free. On average, I would say most of the time the top guys are getting between 3k-5k and would be happy to get any amout in that range. Nowadays flexibility is very necessary to keep your clients.

4. We are a service industry, just like a barber. Start your relationships with people before they become famous. Do cheap or free mixes for them. Help them any way you can. Also provide good services, like nice labels on CDs, helping them get gigs and placements, introduce your best clients to established artists, anything that helps your clients grow. Get people around your area talking about you. Give people the best hair cut they have ever had.
Old 16th September 2008
Gear Head

yes, please.
Old 16th September 2008
Gear nut

I think this must be a duplicate thread. Your answer is here: Studio Politics & Thoughts & Prices. Very interesting, thanks for your time and insights.
Old 22nd September 2008
Lives for gear

Right - the first question I went to see the answer, and there is none! Dave, please reply again if you can!

Lou
Old 30th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pensado View Post
Hi Dave,

Thanks for sharing your info. Here's the one that seem to have been double posted. Cheers!!

1. With protools and stems, changes are a part of mixing now. I usually do all the changes people ask for. Sometimes the changes take more time than the mix. Just think that the more services you provide the more your clients are gonna always come to you. It does get on my nerves, but NOT mixing gets on my nerves even more. If I know I have a client that makes a lot of changes, I try to involve him in the mix process much sooner. I also might not finish every detail until we pull up the stems and do his changes. BTW we print every track as it's own stem, and print efx on their own stem.

2. Not really, because back then it you had changes, you had to pay for a recall. This is one instance where the technology has made it worse for us engineers.

3. Most guys at my level try to get $4k a mix. Some of the top in the box guys get 5-6k all in. (all in means the engineer is responsible for studio costs). On some indie and lower budget projects, the rate can go down to 2k. If I have a good client that needs a favor, i will mix for free. On average, I would say most of the time the top guys are getting between 3k-5k and would be happy to get any amout in that range. Nowadays flexibility is very necessary to keep your clients.

4. We are a service industry, just like a barber. Start your relationships with people before they become famous. Do cheap or free mixes for them. Help them any way you can. Also provide good services, like nice labels on CDs, helping them get gigs and placements, introduce your best clients to established artists, anything that helps your clients grow. Get people around your area talking about you. Give people the best hair cut they have ever had.
Old 12th October 2008
Gear interested

Hi Dave ,
thanks for the worthy advice !
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search