The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dave, Is it true . . .
Old 26th September 2004
Lives for gear

Dave, Is it true . . .

Is it true you used to sit in the studio eating Doritos for hours on end, talking a lot and getting nothing done? Is it true that some guy in Atlanta with a Tube Tech studio and a great big black dog who produced a skinny singer with a BIG voice, teach you everything you know about bull****ting people at record companies, hence getting gigs? PLUS, he sold you his puke green Mercedes? Is it true you try your best to forget this, so you tell a different story?
Old 26th September 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
posted by Knox:
Is it true that some guy in Atlanta...teach you everything you know about bull****ting people at record companies, hence getting gigs?
Hey, Knox,

We ALL learned something from somebody, and no doubt "Some Guy In Atlanta" is no exception. I've learned stuff from Dave which I will be passing on to the kids working for me in the future.

OK.

NOW,

Let's hear more about these techniques on bull****ting...ahem, I mean NEGOTIATING with record company peeps. Hence getting gigs.

Personally, I am MUCH more interested in THAT subject than "what's the best mic pre" etc.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Old 26th September 2004
Lives for gear

WTH????
Old 26th September 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Curve Dominant

Let's hear more about these techniques on bull****ting...ahem, I mean NEGOTIATING with record company peeps. Hence getting gigs.

Personally, I am MUCH more interested in THAT subject than "what's the best mic pre" etc.

Yeah, really WTF ?? How can you negotiate if you don't know whats the best mic pre ?
Old 26th September 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
How can you negotiate if you don't know whats the best mic pre ?
Oh, c'mon, that's easy.

Put a bag of coke on top of any mic pre.

Now, THAT's the BEST mic pre, baby!!

...!!!

Hey, only kidding. Everybody knows people from record labels don't use drugs.
Old 27th September 2004
Gear nut

Hey Dave,
While everything else is standard business practice, I will never forgive you buying a puke green Mercedes. I mean, WHAT were you thinking? tutt tutt
Old 27th September 2004
Guest Moderator - September 08

All true.

Sammy, I would never deny, nor have I ever denied that I learned a tremendous amount about music, engineering, and life from you. We made it through some pretty rough times together, and those are the kind of bonds that can never be broken. However, the more you care and trust someone, the more you can be hurt by them. We should not be discussing this in an open forum, but I think it's OK. I do miss your folks (exceptionally cool people) and will always be thankful for your dad and you for hooking me up with the car. It was ugly to most, but to me it is cool. I still have it! Also the Afgan that bit me everytime I came to your studio, a very cool dog, I believe his name was Axel.

So that people will know, Sammy is a great producer, who was trying (and succeded) in making REAL records in Atlanta, at a time when the town was all corporate rock. He made some good rock records also, (he worked with Rick Derringer among others), and I think he made one of the best records on an artist (Geoffrey M.) that ever came out of Atlanta.

I was trying to find out MY place in the business, and left Atlanta a little bitter. It seemed that it was not meant for me to make it there. What is that saying about the prophet in his own land? I moved to LA and had "instant" success. So the easy thing was to blame Atlanta. Enough time has gone by, that I realize, that it wasn't where I was living that kept me back, it was ME. The easy way is to completely shut off your past, and only live in the moment. It really made me angry that NOBODY wanted to PAY me in Atlanta, then I have 3 straight number one records in LA, and suddenly I have all these long lost buddies in Atlanta. I WAS WRONG to lump you in that category. You were always there for me, and I see it now.

So, I am truly sorry. Let's talk.

Dave
Old 27th September 2004
Lives for gear

Dave

It takes real bravey and humility to make a post like that on an open forum, nice one.

I hope you and sammy can get it back on track..

Peace

DD
Old 27th September 2004
Lives for gear

someone hold me.....

Sierously Dave...that was highly commendable. Not only did you reconize your "changes in life and it's effects on others"...but you corrected what you feel needed to be corrected....

Man....I wish everyone would act like that.......we could put lawyers out of business....
Old 27th September 2004
Lives for gear

RESPECT.
this helps to explain the success of a person more than anything about technical skills.
Old 27th September 2004
Lives for gear

Re: All true.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Pensado
**** Sammy, I would never deny, nor have I ever denied that I learned a tremendous amount about music, engineering, and life from you.

"Sammy"? . . . Damn Dave, we HAVE been apart a long time . . . no one has called me that in a long time.

"ENGINEERING"?!?!?! lol, I never knew one thing about engineering! I was / am of the Yank and Crank Knobs and Buttons until 'somehow' it sounds right School. I think your memory decieves you here! lol! But, I remember 'well' learning a lot from you!

**** We made it through some pretty rough times together, and those are the kind of bonds that can never be broken.

That is very true . . . and we really were best of friends. I always thought we would be . . . . Though as Lennon said . . "life is what happens while you are busy making other plans". I felt I let YOU down.

**** However, the more you care and trust someone, the more you can be hurt by them.

Yep . . and I did some stupid **** around that time to you and everyone else . . my going through a divorce, and trying to get clean . . (btw 13 years clean time!) MAJOR depression . . kicking myself for leaving NY, the record deal that was failing, on and on (many things you didn't know about). . . it's a wonder I stayed alive.

**** We should not be discussing this in an open forum, but I think it's OK. I do miss your folks (exceptionally cool people) and will always be thankful for your dad and you for hooking me up with the car. It was ugly to most, but to me it is cool. I still have it! Also the Afgan that bit me everytime I came to your studio, a very cool dog, I believe his name was Axel.

Yep . . . Mom died (alzheimers) it was VERY rough Dave. I took care of her for years in between running the studio and doing sessions. Glad I did it, but I put my career on hold during that time and it's never been the same. It's cool though, i would do the same tomorrow. Hell, music isn't the only thing in life, it's just a way to make a frikkin' living. I lost my marriage over it as well . . not worth it! When she was dying, I put 35,000 miles on my motorcycle 'running' in between taking care of her. I would sleep 2 / 3 hours a night . . . MAX!

I don't take it (the music business) too serious after all the **** I went through. AND don't let my ego get involved with what I do / did. Nor is music and musicianship as good as it was when we started out, less inspiring. I STILL won't record to a frikkin' computer! . . I tell clients . . "if you can't play and sing, don't come here!" *smile* . . I still love the smell of 2" tape Dave. I'm not going to 'auto correct' ****! "Sing and play it right or go somewhere with a kid and a computer!"

**** So that people will know, Sammy is a great producer, who was trying (and succeded) in making REAL records in Atlanta, at a time when the town was all corporate rock. He made some good rock records also, (he worked with Rick Derringer among others), and I think he made one of the best records on an artist (Geoffrey M.) that ever came out of Atlanta.

Yeah well . . . this is a stinky ass business. I should have never left NYC in many ways, but coming to Atlanta allowed me to get clean and help my Mother pass away in some peace and with what dignity is left with her disease.
Now Pop is 88!

**** I was trying to find out MY place in the business, and left Atlanta a little bitter.

A"little"? You think? lololol!

**** It seemed that it was not meant for me to make it there. What is that saying about the prophet in his own land? I moved to LA and had "instant" success. So the easy thing was to blame Atlanta. Enough time has gone by, that I realize, that it wasn't where I was living that kept me back, it was ME. The easy way is to completely shut off your past, and only live in the moment. It really made me angry that NOBODY wanted to PAY me in Atlanta, then I have 3 straight number one records in LA, and suddenly I have all these long lost buddies in Atlanta.

Dave . . . there is a saying in AA. No matter where you go, you take 'you' with you. Geographical change to fix an emptiness inside you never works 'spiritually'. Until I changed myself, nothing was ever going to change, be it in NYC or wherever I was. You did the right thing getting out.

I was going back to NYC right when my Mother got sick. At that point . . . I wouldn't leave her like that. She was really pitiful in the end.

Dave, I remember talking with you night and day about getting out of here and moving to NYC or LA. It was your time, and through talent, hard work and a bit of luck (ANYONE that succeeds in this business needs 'luck'). . . . . I have never been anything but proud to see you do so well.

**** I WAS WRONG to lump you in that category. You were always there for me, and I see it now.

I'm glad to hear you say that. Though at the time, I did do some ****ty **** to everybody around me. Many turned their back on me during that time. I don't blame you or anyone else. I understood. I HAD to loose everything before I could 'get' what I was looking for. I will explain when we talk.

**** So, I am truly sorry. Let's talk.

I got your call . . . I'll call you later on.

It's a funny thing Dave . . . people here and in the studio business know you as the guy that came to LA and 'somehow' is great at mixing records. I'm one of the few who knows the MANY nights you sat in a studio (Web IV comes to mind) for NO MONEY working and learning how to work the gear and get good at what you do. I don't think anyone could ever really understand how hard we worked at this.
Your "somehow" ONLY came by night after night of putting relationships second and busting your ass for zero compensation. Now you are blessed at getting compensated for all you gave up then. I hope life is good to you outside the business as well.

btw . . . I want my 'farkin" Mercedes back! You now have the money to re-paint it black for me and send it back. GOD that thing sucked gas. You are probably one of the few in the business that can afford the gas that thing funneled.

Dave [/B]
Old 27th September 2004
Lives for gear

Knox,

Nice one, I hear what you are saying with this thread...

Take it easy.

Peace

DD
Old 28th September 2004
Gear Guru

Kudos to Dave and Knox for being brave and honest enough to realize what's really important in life (and put it out in public). The relationships one makes.

Thanks for sharing with us!
Old 2nd October 2004
Lives for gear

This could be the ONE thing that makes it all worth doing...it's all about the people you meet, the relationships you have, and what you take in your heart with you. Peace to you both and glad to see you have the chance to touch base again.

It really puts it all in perspective.

peace all
Old 2nd October 2004
Lives for gear

You guys are cool. Im kinda glad you talked like this here. I think we've all been in this type situation with a good old friend.

Now Im gonna go beat my wife
Old 8th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox
I HAD to loose everything before I could 'get' what I was looking for
Reminds me of saying I once heard (hope I can translate it into english while still making sense):

You need to be left with empty hand in order to grab something new.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search