The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need help with R&B Kick Enhancer Plugins
Old 19th September 2004
Gear interested

Need help with R&B Kick

I am doing a R&B ballad. I am using a 909ish kick. I love the sample. it sounds great by itself. when it enters the mix there is only a voice and piano. I am trying to get the kick to have a lot of depth. Nice lowend but it sounds woofy or a little cloudy. If I roll off some lowend say up to 58hz then the body that I like of the kick is gone.

I want to feel the kick in my chest. Some well mixed songs have that low end where you feel it in your chest.

How do you get the kick to sound clear but keep the lowend body.

If you listen to the ballade by Daniel Beddingfield "If you're not the one" the kick has a nice sub punch to it but it is very clear.

I keep trying different techniques. I will leave in 60hz and below but dip around 200hz. then it just sounds like sub and no body.

need help
Old 19th September 2004
Gear Maniac

Try Dip it around 80 Hz with a real sharp Q
Old 19th September 2004
Gear Maniac

Hi,

have you tried to adjust the length of 909 kick, often 909´s are very tight in the beginning and get boomy & muddy in the end. Just try to trim the sample until its clear but still punchy...
Old 20th September 2004
Guest Moderator - September 08

good suggestions

I would guess that the topend is not right. Check out one of the other posts to see how I do it, I can't remember which post, but it has to do with splitting the kik and using various compression. Remember if you want more bass out of a bass, just turn it up! It's BASS. if you want more lo end from a kik, turn the son-uva-bitch up. Psycho-accoustically, the ear needs some 800-1K, some 3-5k and some 10k to "find" the kik. Add these while in the mix. Don't be afraid to turn up the hi's in the chorus's. It gives the feeling that the drummer hit it harder. Let us know if this helps. Remember, like thethrillfaactor said, don't be against adding a sample that has the frequencies you are missing. Check out some of my Brian Mcknight mixes, and tell me if any of those are close to what you are hearing, and I will send you some samples.
Old 20th September 2004
Gear interested

Hi
Thanks for all the help. I finally got it working. I shortened the kick with a gate since it was already printed. This helped a lot. Then I realized which was my mistake that I have the Maxxbass plugin set to high on the track. this was making it muddy and more boomy then it needed to be.
It is not perfect but helped a lot.

Another question is I am using JBL LSR28lps for my bigger speaker to hear the bottom. They say the reach down to 34hz I think. am I really hearing enough defintion in the low end or should I add a sub. There is a JBL Sub thas goes with it.

If I add a sub which one should I add. also is there a way to setit up so can add the sub in and also leave it out so I canuse the LSDR28lps by themself or with the sub.

Thanks for everything
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search