The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Aida Turntables
Old 18th September 2004
Guest Moderator - September 08

Aida

In a previous thread, I mentioned my mom was named after the opera Aida. One of the great momentst for me was working with Elton John on the Aida project. I grew up on Cuban and Classical music in Tampa and South Florida, so it was all over the place. I work so much that it is hard to find time to do ANYTHING. My last day off was about 5 weeks ago. Last year I took off about 10 days (not counting Christmas). MY favorite classical pieces are (I don't have time to look up the spelling):
Mahler 6 on
Bartok
Schoenberg
Copeland
Led Zep (they're classic!)
and the Allman Bros. (I still miss Dwayne)

My taste in classical tends to run in the more modern, less pretty stuff.
I think, like some of you, that if you don't see the coolness in all forms of music, then you are missing out on a lot, and probably will not ever get the rewards our careers are capable of producing. A lot of classical was prepaid, commissioned bull ****, just like most pop, R&B, rock, and HipHop is. But the 10% that is genuine in any music form is what is to be admired and listened to. God doesn't give us too many of these artists. We all have to pay the bills, but we can still strive to make art, although today it is getting harder and harder!
Old 19th September 2004
Lives for gear

hi

Totally agreed, Dave.
Recently, I had the opportunity to record mix and co-produce a very good Camerata Orchestra from the very south of Brazil, where I live.

They have just found a hidden treasure, some pearls from early 20st century, entirely done on here, previously unreleased songs.

With limited budget and time we were still able to create a nice atmosphere and build a nice album.

I may send you some small samples. This albums received some nice reviews in the area.

Listening to the final product one could never imagine it would become such a nice album going against all the limitation invoilved throughout the process.

Orquestra Camerata Florianópolis Vol.4 ( an independent production>> songs from early XX
Camerata Florianópolis Vol.3 ( also independent, mpb hit songs performed by this small young team: Tom Jobim, Milton NAcimento, Belchior, etc)
Old 19th September 2004
krs
Lives for gear

Whats wrong with Mahler 5??

Chicago/Solti rocks my world:-)
Old 19th September 2004
Lives for gear

Great post Dave. How can one possibly disagree, Music being the universal language, it is THE most perfect example of being open minded, being able to express any form of freedom.

I tend to look at Mozart and Beethovenand the likes as the stars of their time. Different and yet the same. I think projected into 2004 they would be the pop / rock / rnb ... stars of today.

Too little time to listen to it all, so many fantastic moments in classical music to experience ... it's endless ... beethoven, bach, mozart, prokofiev, mahler, wagner, strauss, stravinsky .... they ALL rock.
Old 19th September 2004
Jam
Lives for gear

Prokofiev's Montagues and Capulets from Romeo and Juliet ( I hope I'm getting my facts right ) is a seriously "heavy" piece of music if you can't gain inspiration from stuff like this ( dynamics, harmony, groove and emotional content ) your not trying hard enough.
Every once in a while working or listening "off topic" can really freshen you up.

Jam
Old 19th September 2004
mpr
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by C.Lambrechts
I tend to look at Mozart and Beethovenand the likes as the stars of their time. ... projected into 2004 they would be the pop / rock / rnb ... stars of today.
Do you really think that if Mozart was here today he would be similar to Justin Timberlake?

Old 19th September 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by mpr3
Do you really think that if Mozart was here today he would be similar to Justin Timberlake?

I do not doubt that for a split second ... more even ... I would rate him higher then Justin, who with all due respect still has to prove a long time carreer ... a carreer like the likes of an Elton John, or a David Bowie, that kinda carreer. Don't get me wrong ... I sincerely hope Robbie and Justin and all the others get there and only time will tell ....
Old 19th September 2004
Gear interested

If I can be so presumptious, I think what mpr3 was getting at was would Mozart be a Timberlake kinda pop muppet star or would he be more the Miles Davis, Dylan, Hendrix type of visionary?

Me thinks (and hopes) the latter.
Old 19th September 2004
Lives for gear

regarding personality, mozart would have at least something in common with PRINCE ! heh
Old 19th September 2004
Lives for gear

A few of my Classical faves:

- Debussy 'La mer'
- Villa-Lobos Preludes+ Etudes played by Julian Bream
- Bartok String Quartets
- Vivaldi 'Four Seasons'- we all heard it a milliom times and it's still great.
- Another vote for Duane Allman : His solo on the Allman's 'Whipping Post' from the Fillmore basically changed my life.

Andi
Old 19th September 2004
LTA
Gear Addict

Quote:

You've never seen Amadeus, have you? Antics right up there with the best rock bands out there. You would have thought led zeppelin were angels with mozart rocking out.

Many of the romantic and classical composers were well known performers before they were writers. Schubert, chopin, mozart, beethoven, etc. More than a few of music stars of those times were highly flirtacious with members of the more desirable sex.

All these guys (and gals) were geniuses right at the bleeding edge of what was acceptable in terms of music. Some went well past that point and created things new. I've only hear how well Stravinsky's "Rites of Spring" went over during its first public performance. It grew on the kids, and is looked back at being influential. As much as it pains me to say it, JT is one of the best solo boy band-style acts out there. Not quite the second coming of Elvis, but you never know until today's youth are 40 talking about how much better music was when they were kids.

Imagine Mozart's groupie stories, btw. And imagine if some of these guys had access to schoenberg's twelve-tone system instead of just "common" tonality Metal would never be the same again.

And, as a side note, i think the boy band came out of the advent of PA amplification. I also believe The Beatles were the original modern boy band. Look at the screaming girls passing out in the audience. The teenagers love who the teenagers love, and no heavy handed action on the part of the "rational and reasonable adult party" is going to steal that away.
Old 19th September 2004
Lives for gear

Let us substitute him

May we substitute Justin for Michael Jackson? Then, we would have a fair comparison.
Old 19th September 2004
krs
Lives for gear

I think this qualifies as the greatest name dropping thread I've *ever* seen on Gearslutz..nice to have been a part of it..yikes
Old 19th September 2004
Lives for gear

Re: Let us substitute him

Quote:
Originally posted by Alécio Costa
May we substitute Justin for Michael Jackson? Then, we would have a fair comparison.

Are you comparing music or popularity ? To me music is intended for one and only purpose. Which is to create a sort of emotion in the person who hears it. If you can get a tear or a laugh, or euphoria, or movement, or whatever it may be that causes pleasure in their brains.. then the job was well done. And this cannot be bought or advertized. You can critique all sorts of musical styles and genres, from 2004 back to who ever you want to ... if it moves someone, or millions it doesn't really matter.. it's the fact that you have created a mix of sounds that give out sonic pleasure . I have alot of respect for the "end user" or consumer.. if we start by that, then you will notice that alot of genious goes into pop music. I respect who ever is succesful period.
Old 19th September 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:

Not exclusively Mozart, but many others who were contracted to compose music for the ammusement of a king, duke, duchess, church etc. If these members of the 'divine hierarchy' were dissatisfied with the performance then these composers could possibly be, banished, exiled or beheaded.

Nowadays it has evolved to the point at which an artist could lose the option for a second record, or be forced into obscurity by MTV or the E network.
Nothing has changed, it just smells different - get used to it.
Old 20th September 2004
Guest Moderator - September 08

Ideas for listening

Thanks GSers, you guys have given me a few things to check out. AS ALWAYS, great responses from the crew.

Alicio, send me an email at: [email protected]
and I would love to hear what you are working on.

From what I have read Franz Liszt would be the Prince of today! I wish I knew more, but so little time for everything.

Picksail, I think we should bring back the beheading thing, that might improve things. But ONLY IF I could make the decisions on who stays and who goes!

LTA, good points, Jose, good food for thought, I need to think about what you are saying. Is it kinda like there is a place for McDonalds, and the Ritz?

Duane (forgot the spelling in original post) was one of the most amazing people I have met. He could just walk into a room, and you would suddenly play better. Right on DoorKnocker!

Jam, I gonna check that out. krs, 5 is good, I just like the more out stuff. Maybe I'm confused, I will go back and listen to it. It is one of your favorites?
Old 20th September 2004
krs
Lives for gear

yeah I love that whole Chicago/Solti box set. That brass section is playing like their lives depended on it. There are some beautiful kacks in there - guys taking chances like you *never* hear anymore in orchestral recordings. I also love the sound of that entire wind/brass section breathing together...very very cool.
Old 20th September 2004

Quote:

Justin would be the better dancer.
Old 20th September 2004
Lives for gear

Hi Dave

Thanks, Dave
I will be sending you this cool project. Hope you do not mind being mp3s
Nice week
Old 20th September 2004
Lives for gear

Re: Ideas for listening

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Pensado
, Jose, good food for thought, I need to think about what you are saying. Is it kinda like there is a place for McDonalds, and the Ritz?

I love McDonalds heh but really, I'm just trying to convince myself that there is good music out there today. And even though I only have Beatles and Pink Floyd cd's on my cd wallet, I need to convince myself that music should not be compared and everyone who succeeds is doing a good job. Maybe I'm just naive, but I do respect the music played on MTV even if I don't like some of it. I would like to have my music played on MTV , I would be damn proud of myself. OK, slutz easy on the flaming on this one heh
Old 20th September 2004
Lives for gear

Re: Ideas for listening

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Pensado
Picksail, I think we should bring back the beheading thing, that might improve things. But ONLY IF I could make the decisions on who stays and who goes!
I guess I should have at least included some of the orchestral works that I adore. Fortunately, these guys didn't have to concern themselves with the 'life threatening days' - they just weren't cool at all, so they posed little threat to anyone...for the most part anyway.

Varese, Stockhausen, Stravinsky, Bartok, Penderecki, Cowell, Partch, Schnitke, Zappa, Xenakis, Zorn, Satie, etc.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search