The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1st time you hear the songs
Old 15th September 2004
Lives for gear

1st time you hear the songs

Hi Dave, I was just wondering about when you first hear the songs you will be mixing.

Do they get to you as a good quality demo or unmixed (but well tracked) seperate tracks?

How closely do you work with the songwriters?

In most cases, is the band the main writers of the song or is it production teams eg. The Matrix , Max Martin (Cherion), writers from Murlyn Music (Sweden), other top song writers from the US, that write the songs?

Also with a track like "Get This Party Started" - Pink are the A&R's or Managers like "Dave, this is a hit, lets get it mixed and released ASAP" or were they unconfident about it's potential until it actually hits the charts and they hear peoples and radio stations reactions.

Who wrote that song anyway? How much did Pink herself have to do with it?

thanks for all the other posts, really interesting stuff Dave....

lovin' it!

Guy
Old 15th September 2004
Gear maniac

in an interview the lead singer from four-non blondes said she wrote "get this party started" but didnt have anything to do with it because it wasn't a 4 non-blones-ish song, so she gave it to pink.
Old 15th September 2004
Gear maniac

in an interview the lead singer from four-non blondes said she wrote "get the party started" but didnt have anything to do with it because it wasn't a 4 non-blones-ish song, so she gave it to pink.
Old 21st September 2004
Guest Moderator - September 08

It really varies...

Some of my clients spend days on their rough mixes, and some are just thrown together (check out the 2track thread). I like the challenge of beating a great ruff mix. Usually I "cheat" and really study the ruff, and use the best ideas from it. Of course, I try to make the ideas mine. On "Party" (Pink) we (Pink, Me, Linda, and Damon Elliott) were trying to make an ALBUM. Linda Perry wrote the song with Pink. We were hassled all along the way. We were fired a couple of times, and threatened with the album not coming out. Pink had such a strong vision that she wouldn't turn loose. We knew it was a great record, but it almost didn't come out like we envisioned it. Finally, to his credit LA Reid saw the vision and really got behind the record. I was going through an "Andy Wallace" phase, and was trying to combine that with my "Dr. Dre" phase.

Only a handfull of song writers show up to sessions. In another thread I give a list of priorities of who I listen to.

remo, it really varies all over the place as to who writes the song.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search