The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LO FI
Old 14th September 2004
Lives for gear

LO FI

Dave - big fan of your work, and have really enjoyed the tips you've been sharing.

I always enjoy hearing about top engineers/artists doing stuff totally "wrong" in the studio. (eg Bono recording in the control room with the monitors blaring) stuff like that, but not necessarily to achieve a lofi sound. More like, screw it, let's do it this way, it sounds fine

Any really weird stuff that's made into albums you've mixed? Just curious, thought it might be entertaining (and maybe even useful!)

best krs
Old 17th September 2004
Guest Moderator - September 08

1st floor, mens fashions

The 1st studio I worked in didn't have a lot of outboard gear. I didn't realize I was at a disadvantage, because I didn't know what gear was out there. I heard all these sounds on records and figured I should be able to get them. Well the studio had an elevator. I put two speakers in the bottom of the elevator shaft, and hung two mics off of the bottom of the elevator aimed towards the speakers. I would raise or lower the elevator until I got the delay/sound I wanted. I would put an "out-of-order" sign on the elevator doors, and mix away.
Old 17th September 2004
Gear Addict

i think this is a cool thread...

as much as us want-to-be's try and try to get the right gear and the right techniques, sometimes you gotta just trust yourself and be creative
Old 17th September 2004
Guest Moderator - September 08

Lumen

It's about creativity, not gear. It is easy to forget about the music, and inflict OUR taste all over the place. Gear is only about 25% of it, the rest is creativity. At the level I work at we all have the SAME gear, but we all sound different. I think the most important quality to have is the WILL to make a great record, then the realization will follow. I always say I can teach anyone HOW to get a great snare sound, I just can't teach WHAT a great snare sound is.
Old 19th September 2004
Lives for gear

a tip..one for the road-lol

a cool tip..
take some coins and throw them at your studio hall. use 2 condensers considerably far apart ( suggest AT4050s) and mix to taste.
Pink Floyd and Alan Parsons will envy you (Dark side...)
Old 20th September 2004
Lives for gear

Re: 1st floor, mens fashions

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Pensado
The 1st studio I worked in didn't have a lot of outboard gear. I didn't realize I was at a disadvantage, because I didn't know what gear was out there. I heard all these sounds on records and figured I should be able to get them. Well the studio had an elevator. I put two speakers in the bottom of the elevator shaft, and hung two mics off of the bottom of the elevator aimed towards the speakers. I would raise or lower the elevator until I got the delay/sound I wanted. I would put an "out-of-order" sign on the elevator doors, and mix away.

Genius........absolutly genius...
Old 20th September 2004
LTA
Gear Addict

Re: Re: 1st floor, mens fashions

Quote:
Originally posted by djui5
Genius........absolutly genius...
^_^ I can just picture people price checking adding an elevator to their studio now
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search