The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
the "Job" part of the job
Old 10th September 2004
Lives for gear

Dave: Q's about the business part of the job

Welcome back Dave! A few questions regarding business:

1. Do you charge differently and get different points when you re-play/replace tons of tracks?

2. How much time do you give for these tasks? Knowing that you're very busy (and thanks for spending time with us), and that every situation is different; how long does it take for a re-build on a song?

3. Do you do the rebuild at home in ProTools and then mix in the expensive room, or do the whole thing on the clock at the expensive room?

4. Does the studio time come out of your budget, or do you just pass that along as a line item on your invoice to the label? The same for cartage?

Sorry so many, and thanks.
Old 11th September 2004
Guest Moderator - September 08

Hi jrhifikit

1. My manager handles all that. Sometimes we get points, and sometimes I mix for free. I try to do whatever it takes to mix for friends, and to mix the music I like. If I am not knocked out by the song, usually it is a friend or Artist I really like. I don't have a fixed rate, I just trust my manager (Jac Colman) to get me songs I like, or to make sure a good friend is taken care of.
2. Usually 1-10 hours to redo a track. "Get The Party Started" required changing all the drums, and creating intro and ending and alot of PT tricks. Linda and I spent about 6 hours on it. I just charge by the song, so I don't charge xtra for that. I don't want the producer to think I'm trying to take their job, or make more money by trying to get my ideas in there.
3. Expensive all the way. If I'm doing it free, I should at least do it in luxury.
4. The client (label, producer, or artist) pays me, and pays the studio seperate. Most of the time, rentals are added to the studio bill. MY rentals are billed by me.

If this does not answer your questions, let me know.
Old 12th September 2004
Lives for gear

I'd say you pretty much nailed it. Thanks.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search