The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Do your mixes really need a full mastering?
Old 10th September 2004
Gear Nut

Question Do your mixes really need a full mastering?

Having huge respect for your mixing skills and knowing that I'm never going to hear mixmasters of the many No.1 hits you've engineered I just ask myself one question (most questions have already been answered by the fantastic other threads):

How big is the contribution of the mastering engineer to your mixes?

(I presume your mixmasters already sound "THERE" - and everything the mastering engineer has to do is sort of subliminal).

?
Old 10th September 2004
Guest Moderator - September 08

Darth

I use mastering as a safety net. Most of the time, Brian Gardner or Eddy Schryer does my mastering. They do very little compression or EQ, but get the overall level up. I don't use stereo buss compression, so this surprises me. I also have asked them to let me know if a particular studio is making me mix worse or better.
Old 14th September 2004
Lives for gear

Re: Darth

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Pensado
I also have asked them to let me know if a particular studio is making me mix worse or better.

Please let us know their answer. Did you mean, the difference in gear from studio to studio.. or the vibe of the different places and how it affects on you ?
Old 14th September 2004
Lives for gear

Re: Re: Darth

Quote:
Originally posted by Jose Mrochek
Please let us know their answer. Did you mean, the difference in gear from studio to studio.. or the vibe of the different places and how it affects on you ?

Control Room Acoustics would be my guess.
Old 15th September 2004
One with big hooves

Re: Darth

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Pensado
I use mastering as a safety net. Most of the time, Brian Gardner or Eddy Schryer does my mastering. They do very little compression or EQ, but get the overall level up. I don't use stereo buss compression, so this surprises me.
So how do you feel about the massive amount of limiting that occurs in mastering? Surely you can't be thrilled about having 7-10dB of limiting piled on and having a mix get smashed flatter then Kansas.
Old 15th September 2004
Lives for gear

I'm interested in this too!
Old 21st September 2004
One with big hooves

Bump.

Dave, ya out there?!?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search