The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Enjoyment!! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 18th August 2004
Lives for gear

Question Enjoyment!!

Dave

what part of your work do you love the most?

and what helps keep you fresh and lively?

thanks

Rene
Old 19th August 2004
Lives for gear

yeah, I bet you need a pick-me-up after having the lovely Christine A hanging around the studio all day. I know, it's not like that everyday...... of course, one day Christine A, the next Victoria Beckham and a bucketload of autotune.
Old 26th September 2004
Lives for gear

bump
Old 27th September 2004
Guest Moderator - September 08

I guess I just like it

At some point you start thinking, man, I can actually do this, and wow, I am really pretty good at it. Then you go thru a phase where you try to only work on cool things. Then you buy a few things and get some debt, and suddenly you have to take projects whether you like them or not, just to pay bills. Then you have some success, and you find yourself at a POORLY marked crossroads. You can go for the money or you can go for the things that got you into music in the 1st place. It is ALWAYS a decision you have to be constantly making. For me, I don't need much, so it was easier to go for the fun. Not always, I have had a few years where I had to back track, and down size (translation, go to the pawnshop).

So for me, I enjoy working with talented people, with young cats who are trying to make a difference, meeting a legend, and finding out they are as cool as you hoped, or doing a mix where you feel you really contributed something. I try to choose projects based on the music, but sometimes a friend might ask you to mix something that isn't great. I try my best to make it great, and in the process, its good to hang with buddies.
Old 27th September 2004
Lives for gear

Dave,

There was a comment a couple weeks back saying essentially implicating you in mixing much of the music that the commentor and his kind deemed less than worthy. Personally, I couldn't disagree more. It's only since you've come on to moderate that I realize how much of the stuff you've mixed that I own in my catalog. While it's easy to categorize all pop/top 40 stuff as crap, there are a lot of talented artists doing really great pop music.

I, for one, thank you for your contributions to a lot of good pop music. I can really hear the love that you put into many of these mixes and I can feel the fun that you're having. Keep it up.
Old 27th September 2004
Guest Moderator - September 08

Wow

Exmun, thanks, I really appreciate it. I don't recall someone saying that, but I'm glad they did. I think it is healthy to have passionate different opinions. It's OK to disagree with each other, and even slam each others taste once in a while. My tastes have changed so much since I was 12 to 20 to 30 to on and on, that it would be hard to slam, because I might be changing next month. I do feel myself wanting to work on more rock stuff lately, and find I am liking more rock stuff than I have in 10 years.
Old 28th September 2004
Moderator emeritus

Re: Wow

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Pensado
Exmun, thanks, I really appreciate it. I don't recall someone saying that, but I'm glad they did. I think it is healthy to have passionate different opinions. It's OK to disagree with each other, and even slam each others taste once in a while.
I don't think that it's appropriate to slam someone personally for working on something that you don't personally care to listen to. And that, I think is what was being referred to.
Old 28th September 2004
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally posted by entropy
yeah, I bet you need a pick-me-up after having the lovely Christine A hanging around the studio all day.
I'd have to ask her to leave while I did the rough mix, otherwise I'd never get anything done

I remember seeing her promo pick, before her first album, back when I had my bands one shot at RCA. I instantly fell in love. On top of it all, dam that girl can sing!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search