The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
So Dave, Do The A&R Peeps Ever Get On Your Nerves??
Old 17th August 2004
Lives for gear

So Dave, Do The A&R Peeps Ever Get On Your Nerves??

How much do you have to deal with label folks poking their heads into the studio?

If so, do they ever offer any helpful guidance on how to please the focus groups...uh, er, I mean...the music-luving masses??

And if not, and you find their input...ummm..."unhelpful," ...do you have some diplomatic verbal judo tricks at hand to deal with that scenario?

Thanks in advance!
Old 14th September 2004
Guest Moderator - September 08

...those that DO and those that A&R

For me, I think that most A&R people are very sincere and hard working. Does this mean they are not sometimes pains in the ass, of course not. I try to respect the opinions of people in this order:

1. Artist
2. Producer
3. Writer
4. My dog
5. A&R
6. Managers
7. My staff

There are some great A&R people with dead-on ideas: Ron Fair, Teresa White, Larry Jackson, Omar (Will Smith), Damien Smith, LA Reid, and 10 or 15 others I can think of. Most try hard but just have too many other responsibilities on their agenda. I try to accomodate people on the above list as long as they are sincere. I consider it a skill just like EQ'ing.
Old 14th September 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
posted by Dave:
I try to respect the opinions of people in this order:

1. Artist
Dave,

I always had the utmost respect for you.

But I respect you even more now.

Rock on, good brother.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search