The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How did you get where you are?
Old 13th August 2004
Lives for gear

How did you get where you are?

Hi Dave, thanks for putting the time in and answering a few questions on GS!

Tech stuff aside for a moment, can you give us a brief rundown of your career moves that took you to the dizzying heights you are at now. When did you get started? Was ther a major "turning point" where it all took of for you?

What do you think of analog summi... Oops. NO TECH

heh
Cheers,
Guy
Old 13th August 2004
Guest Moderator - September 08

just loved music

remo, I am the one person that you should probably NOT use as a model for success. I am basically still a hippie. I just loved playing and making music all my life. Several times I thought about checking out of life early, and the one thing that kept me goin was music...making it. I played in a lot of bands, and actually just kinda fell into the recording side of things in my mid 20's. I would have tried engineering sooner, but I just assumed I wasn't good at it. I seem to have always had a knack for knowing what sounds good. I tell my assistants that I can teach anyone HOW to get a great snare sound, but I can't teach anyone WHAT a great snare sound is. Think of a great painter without the ability to pick great subjects to paint. My advice to you is to record anyone who will sit still enough to record them. I did hundreds of free sessions. One day it dawned on me that I was actually getting better! The money will come. Just record, listen to music, make music over and over. Find your pleasure in doin it, and everything will follow in time.
Old 13th August 2004
Lives for gear

Re: just loved music

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Pensado
remo, I am the one person that you should probably NOT use as a model for success. I am basically still a hippie. I just loved playing and making music all my life. Several times I thought about checking out of life early, and the one thing that kept me goin was music...making it. I played in a lot of bands, and actually just kinda fell into the recording side of things in my mid 20's. I would have tried engineering sooner, but I just assumed I wasn't good at it. I seem to have always had a knack for knowing what sounds good. I tell my assistants that I can teach anyone HOW to get a great snare sound, but I can't teach anyone WHAT a great snare sound is. Think of a great painter without the ability to pick great subjects to paint. My advice to you is to record anyone who will sit still enough to record them. I did hundreds of free sessions. One day it dawned on me that I was actually getting better! The money will come. Just record, listen to music, make music over and over. Find your pleasure in doin it, and everything will follow in time.

Very inspirational.
Old 14th August 2004
Lives for gear

Yep VERY !! Inspirational. Dave 2 questions along those lines, why did you do the transition to engineering from playing ? I ask this because this happens to be the case of many musicians, was it because you started to feel more passion for the recording process, or because you thought of it as being a more stable lifestyle ? And 2nd if you would have to chose between being a succesful engineer like you are now or being a succesful rock star, what would you chose ? As of today. Thanks
Old 14th August 2004
Gear Addict

I ask myself that question every single day ... and it all seems like a dream... how " did" i wind up where i is ???
Old 14th August 2004
Lives for gear

hippies kick ass!!! wheres da weed?
Old 14th August 2004
Gear Maniac

cough cough....heh

To do what your heart tells you is right and to do it with great pleasure, thats what I call a successful man, regardless his status or bank account. I like that!

Being a musician myself, I quickly learned to respect a good mixing engineer as a virtuous performer on his "Instrument", console and outboard.

How did he get there? On the same route the Pianist get's to perform Alexandre Scriabin's "Vers La Flame", years of hard practise.

I think it is very beneficial if a engineer learned to play an instrument himself.

Piano that is of course.... LOL.... kiddin....
Old 14th August 2004
Gear Addict

Re: just loved music

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Pensado
remo, I am the one person that you should probably NOT use as a model for success. I am basically still a hippie. I just loved playing and making music all my life. Several times I thought about checking out of life early, and the one thing that kept me goin was music...making it.
Thats a very honest post dave. Of all the guest mods that have been in here your the one I have enjoyed reading the most.

Thanks
Old 16th August 2004
Lives for gear

Thanks Dave... great post...
Old 21st August 2004
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by remo
Thanks Dave... great post...
agreed. -especially the doing what you love part...it's usually always best to follow the heart I think.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search