The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Plug In Screen Shots
Old 12th August 2004
Lives for gear

Plug In Screen Shots

Dave,

I thought it was pretty awesome when you gave EM some screenshots of actual plug in's you used on sessions.

http://www.emusician.com/news/emusic...gin/index.html

It really silenced a lot of people that claimed you couldn't achieve professional, good sounding results with plug in's instead of hardware. Do you have any comments about that article, or it's aftermath?

Any chance you could post a couple more here? Maybe even on something not released yet...?
Old 12th August 2004
Lives for gear

That link is way cool...

R.
Old 12th August 2004
Jam
Lives for gear

I know this is slightly of topic but talking about that article Dave says he quite often uses the Waves L1 at the end of the Vocal change which I had been doing as well ( when appropriate ) but since adding the Sony bundle I've gone over to the Infaltor for the same application.
So my question in response to that article ( to everyone not just Dave ) is do you find that your plug in chains are constantly in flux perhaps even more so than the hardware equivalents and do you ever fall victim to the feeling that a new piece is best just because it's newest ?

Jam
Old 12th August 2004
Lives for gear

Thanks for the link e-cue, it's well cool

Peace

DD
Old 12th August 2004
Lives for gear

Great link E-Cue!

I found the L1 shot/comment interesting, particularly how long the release was (I can't remember ever having used it over 200ms...).

I ws wanting to know, from Dave(!), how much gain reduction you look to take when using the L1?

I'd imagine if you have the release set that long, you're looking to catch more than just the top couple of dB's?
Old 12th August 2004
Lives for gear
I have worked with such a setup since quite a time, not this L1 but compression in a certain band around 2.5 Khz.
The long release is helpful in that it keeps the RELATIVE dynamics intact and does not sound compressed. With good lookahead it works like you automate an EQ for a sharp word or high melody line. But the singer must keep up with it and have a good flow by herself.
Old 13th August 2004
Guest Moderator - September 08

Article

Jam, that is the beauty of Pluggins, there is always something new. You don't feel as bad erasing a piece of software, as you do letting a piece of gear that cost you $5,000 collect dust. I am addicted to new pluggings.

Messiah, I use the L1 as a safety net. I like it to catch about no more that 5 dB, after my main compressor has done the bulk of the work. Today, I had a Missy rap that was giving me fits, so I tried an L1 clamped down to knock offf about 12 dB, with slow release, and it sounds amazing. The song is featuring Christina and is in the movie SHARKS TAIL, out in about a month. It's a remake of "Car Wash".
Old 13th August 2004
Jam
Lives for gear

Re: Article

Originally posted by Dave Pensado
Jam, that is the beauty of Pluggins, there is always something new. You don't feel as bad erasing a piece of software, as you do letting a piece of gear that cost you $5,000 collect dust. I am addicted to new pluggings.

Yeah and part of the fun is always being able to refine/rethink your chains. I do worry sometimes that I enjoy the newness too much ! Lol.
Anyway off to work "another day another plug in" !!

Jam
Old 21st August 2004
Gear Head

*drools over McDSP Chrome Tone*

only been able to use it once when i was on an HD w/ all the gizmos on it. was very impressed with it.
Old 21st August 2004
jho
Lives for gear

So, Dave...are you pretty much focused on using plug ins to accomplish everything you can as far as EQ and compressors go, even when you're somewhere that has a wall of high-end analog gear?

Do you reach for plugs first now-adayz?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search