The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Talent vs X factor (question for Dave)
Old 30th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Talent vs X factor (question for Dave)

Hi Dave

Do you think that the image of an artist or band is as essential as the recordings itself? Do you think image influences the way people interpret the music? In Hollywood there's something that is called a Q rating to decide how memorable an actor or actress is, does this count in music as well in your opinion?

The Rolling Stones are known for their drug use, is this a factor that played a role in record sales? When I listen to Nirvana it gives the sound that bit extra, that bit more drama knowing that Kurt Cobain was heavily addicted, it's like I could hear his pain through the music, it's really weird.

Also, did you ever have a similar experience like me? If yes, which album or song or artist/band did influence the way you interpret the music because of the image?

Thank you for your time.
Old 30th September 2015
VIP Guest

First , drugs suck. There is no glamour in drug use . Saying that , there is what I call the "cool" factor that is unquantifiable. I have made records I thought were as good as any record I have
ever made however (for what ever reason ) the band did not click because of this undefinable lack of "something" I could not provide in the sound alone (and NO I will not mention names and
YES maybe the record just sucked ).I love the Rolling Stones and it was my goal to work with them. It was because of their music however and not anything else. Having worked with them and
personally getting to know them as people I can tell you they are GREAT GUYS and only having worked with them do I know WHY they became so famous. Everyone in that group is a special
person . The kind of personality that can light up a room. These are very smart and witty guys who always know the score and (believe it or not ) do not take themselves too seriously thinking
they somehow better than anyone else. They work extremely hard and to top it off have the TALENT to back it all up! Image is part and parcel of the entertainment world and I have been attracted (and put off ) by an artist or bands image . One thing I have learned is not to make a judgement based solely on image.
Old 1st October 2015
VIP Guest

By the way, it was Keith and NOT Mick whom had the blood transfusion .
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search