The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Panning
Old 29th September 2015
Lives for gear

Panning

How do you approach the issue of panning at mix time?

Do you like mono tracks panned wide, LCR, stereo tracks spread?
(...Or a combo of these?)
...And when you DO have a stereo source, do you often pan the two channels separately?
(...Like at positions other than hard-left/right?)
Old 30th September 2015
VIP Guest

I normally pan mono signals L-C-R and stereo signals (like stereo Synths ) I may or may not pan L-R but more often than not I will do 9 and 3 o'clock . What is important to me i.e. clarity .
I want to have a mix that sounds clear and all the parts can be heard in such a way that the song is getting what it needs for it to work. I try not to "over record" and I try to combine parts so
they cover all the ground rhythmically, tone wise and musically. One good track is better in my view then five. One thing I loved about George Martins productions was how economical they were.
Today people lay down 125 tracks when 16 (or less ) would probably do. As I go on I try to lay down tracks that cover a lot of ground instead of a bunch of tracks that ultimately say nothing.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search