The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Getting Kick and Bass working in Harmony Turntables
Old 19th September 2015
Lives for gear

Getting Kick and Bass working in Harmony

Mr Jerden,

First, thanks for taking your time to do this! Locking in the kick and bass can be difficult for us project studio folks. Specifically mixing the two so they're well rounded and punchy. Any pearls of wisdom that you've found work exceptionally well?

Thanks for any input that you might add.
Old 20th September 2015
VIP Guest

The kick/snare/bass balance are crucial. I get these balances on small speakers "Rocket 6" made by KRK are great for this. I monitor at low volume. I dip at 125hz on the kick while boosting
around 60hz. I boost the bass at 150hz (sometimes a little lower) and at 1200 hz. I high pass the snare at 80hz while adding around 2.5khz and 5k. It really depends on the groove, tempo
type of song how much EQing I do . Mid Tempo to slow BPM are the easiest for me to work with. Super fast "Punk" style songs are harder because the drums do not have enough time to
open up tone wise. I always compress the Kick,snare, and bass in the recording and may or may not compress again for the mix. The real trick is being able to properly hear the bass at low
levels on small speakers when the mix is done.
Old 22nd September 2015
Lives for gear

Dave thank you for that...very good and I will definitely work that on my next mix. Thanks for your time and input!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search