The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Rolling stones Guitar mikes etc
Old 14th September 2015
What is it like working with the Rolling Stones?

Thanks for doing this Dave.

I wanted to ask you what it's like working with the Rolling Stones? Are they quite picky about sounds and the way their instruments are captured?
Old 19th September 2015
Lives for gear

Rolling stones Guitar mikes etc

Hi again. Working with the Rolling Stones must have been a great learning oppertunity as they have so many years of experience. Do they have a set preference for recording guitar; goto amps, mics, pre-amp etc. or is there a lot of trying different setups to suit the song or do they just know what will work.
Old 21st September 2015
VIP Guest

The Stones gave me complete freedom to do whatever I saw fit in recording and that includes guitars. The Stones set up as a band when they record. We recorded in Paris in a studio the size of
an airplane hanger so I had plenty of space to work and to set them up. I set them up all facing me (in the control room) with "go-bo's (physical room dividers) separating the different players.
I had the drums in the middle and Keith to the right of Charlie.Woody and Bill Wyman were to the left (as I looked at them) . Mick was in the front. We used Mesa Boogie amps and I miked each
amp with an Sm57 and 47Fet. I compressed all the amps with (if I remember correctly ) with LA-2A's or something similar except the bass ( amp and DI) i used ( as I always do ) a pair of 1176's
I compress at the buss. The pre amps were the board pre-amps . Neve 1073's . We recorded to 24 track tape. The tape machines were Studer 800's . Keith and Woody were very happy with my
guitar tones. By the way, The Rolling Stones were very professional and easy to work with as far as recording goes. Also , Alan Rogan , Stones guitar tech, was very "on the ball" with tuning etc.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search