The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Everyday work
Old 13th September 2015
Gear Addict

Everyday work

Hi Dave, How do you approach each day at work.
You have a new band, new music style, new producer, etc.
You are mixing or recording.
How do you start the day? What is on your mind?

Thanks

Émile
Old 21st September 2015
VIP Guest

INTERESTING QUESTION! I love my job. I get to the studio at about 11:30AM each day . I first talk to my crew about what my recording goals are for that day. I have anyone that has not had any breakfast make sure they eat and we all have coffee. I talk to the band/artist/musicians about what I plan doing for the day. We start recording about 2PM after everyone knows what to do
and has warmed up.If we are doing vocals I have the singer warm up with a piano doing some vocal exercises. We work until about 6PM then take a dinner break for an hour. We resume about
7PM and then work till 9 or 10PM. After that we make rough mixes and square away the studio. I get home about 11Pm. I try to stick to a schedule and work focused without doing "burnout"
sessions. The worst enemy is low energy therefore I don't try to make the whole record in a day. My productions usually work out that each song (including mixes ) takes 3 days (averaging)
By the way , if I am doing only one song , I can do THAT in one day !
Old 23rd September 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJerden View Post
INTERESTING QUESTION! I love my job. I get to the studio at about 11:30AM each day . I first talk to my crew about what my recording goals are for that day. I have anyone that has not had any breakfast make sure they eat and we all have coffee. I talk to the band/artist/musicians about what I plan doing for the day. We start recording about 2PM after everyone knows what to do
and has warmed up.If we are doing vocals I have the singer warm up with a piano doing some vocal exercises. We work until about 6PM then take a dinner break for an hour. We resume about
7PM and then work till 9 or 10PM. After that we make rough mixes and square away the studio. I get home about 11Pm. I try to stick to a schedule and work focused without doing "burnout"
sessions. The worst enemy is low energy therefore I don't try to make the whole record in a day. My productions usually work out that each song (including mixes ) takes 3 days (averaging)
By the way , if I am doing only one song , I can do THAT in one day !
Do you take the week-ends? Or a day off in the week?

I like that structure, it's not easy these days to have that!
Old 25th September 2015
VIP Guest

I work six days a week with Sundays off.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search