The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Jane's Addiction Vocal tracking Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 11th September 2015
Lives for gear

Jane's Addiction Vocal tracking

Hi Mr. Jerden, please enlighten me about Perry Farrell's voice. Sure his vocals are something particular, both shouty and slightly rude, but very controlled in the same time. Which was the favourite reverb on the voice? And the general Setup on tracking stage?
Old 16th September 2015
VIP Guest

Perry sang thru an SM7 and that was put thru his own vocal delay box. i will look thru my notes and get back to you on the model of the vocal box . It was made by Ibanez but I can't remember
the model number. I did not want Perry to feel weird in the recording as opposed to his live performance so I gave him a hand held dynamic mic with his own delay box he was used to.
Old 17th September 2015
Noa
Gear Addict

Was it the Ibanez DM-1000? Or the DMD 2000? Did he turn the delay on and off while performing the songs in the studio? Like he does live? I can't believe that haunting vocal sound was an SM57. AWESOME

Thanks, Dave.

Last edited by Noa; 26th September 2015 at 02:16 AM..
Old 20th September 2015
SM7 not 57
Old 20th September 2015
Lives for gear

Thank you for the answer.
Old 22nd September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJerden View Post
Perry sang thru an SM7 and that was put thru his own vocal delay box. i will look thru my notes and get back to you on the model of the vocal box . It was made by Ibanez but I can't remember
the model number. I did not want Perry to feel weird in the recording as opposed to his live performance so I gave him a hand held dynamic mic with his own delay box he was used to.
That's interesting. That crazy delay is such a part of that sound. Always loved it.
Old 24th September 2015
Noa
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyglover View Post
SM7 not 57

OOps! My fault...
Old 27th September 2015
VIP Guest

The vocal delay box was an Ibenez MM1100 or MM1000 to the best of my recollection .This was only used on "Nothings Shocking" and then was stolen while on tour. Perry then got another delay
box for the Ritual album. i cannot remember what it was. I do remember it was an effects box (rack mount ) that was designed for guitar. The original Ibenez box was designed as more a general
use delay made for the studio and the road. The main difference between boxes was that the Ibenez had a "hold" button where , after setting up some crazy delays a user could then hit hold and
the effects would just loop over and over without changing . I myself bought two of the Ibenez delays and they also were ripped off! I paid only $100 for BOTH boxes at a used instrument music
store. I myself would like to find another one . Today I use a Roland 501 tape loop for pretty much the same effect on vocals.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search