The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Remain in Light Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear

Remain in Light

Was Remain in Light your first major job? I've always thought that album was the pinnacle of recording: all the technology was newly available to do anything one could ever want with music, but all of the bad 80s technologies and products hadn't yet come in (which I think you helped to usher out with recordings like Jane's Addiction.) What say you? The album must've had a very unique recording process. Can you share some memories?
Old 16th September 2015
VIP Guest

Yes Remain in light was one of my first major albums but not my first. My first major album was My life in the bush of Ghosts with Eno. I had been recording for three years before this.
I learned a lot working with Eno . At that time I was young and willing to try anything. Remember at that time we had no midi or samplers. Synthesizers were still fairly new.
Old 17th September 2015
Lives for gear

Bush of Ghosts is also great. Man, you hit the ground running!
Old 23rd September 2015
Lives for gear

Both of those albums are ridiculous.

Dave, have you listened to any of the current masters of Remain In Light in the shops? I have three copies (two on CD and one on Vinyl) and one of the CD masters in particular sounds really, really bad, but the vinyl version I have (modern re-issue, couldn't tell you which pressing) sounds completely different. Just wondering what your stance is on mastering, and particularly the way so many classic albums have been re-mastered...
Old 25th September 2015
VIP Guest

After a record is initially put out I have no control over the mastering. Remain in Light was originally mixed for vinyl. What probably happened with the CD version was they (whom ever "they" are)did not re EQ for CD. When mixing for Vinyl a mixer usually uses more top end EQ. When mixing for digital less high end. Also the bass and low end are different . There are cutting problems
on vinyl if there is a lot of bass or panned basses . CD and vinyl are way to different animals to deal with as far as mixing and mastering.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search