The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any plans for a lower end of the market compressor
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear
Any plans for a lower end of the market compressor

Dave:

I publish a little online mag called Mojo Pie.

Most of the focus is on gear under $1,000 but we look at more expensive pieces as well. I've found through the sheer numbers the site gets that there is a pent up demand for better gear in the under $1,000 market.

Are there any plans for Empiral Labs to put out any products aimed this market?

--Steve
Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear

I would love to see a compressor with just the nuke button on it. Every time I get to use a distressor I always want it on kick or snare.... and nuke the room mics. So something like a half rack compressor thats always in nuke, doesnt need many controls... just an input and output knob like the fatso. As long as the price was reasonable I'd know a ton of people that would pick a couple up.
Old 1st May 2003
The Distressor's "daddy"

STEVE

Thanks for your question and interest. I am always thinking of lower priced products, have actually designed a few and then shelved them for various reasons. (Some folks have prototypes) As Empirical Labs grows it will become more likely that we will do some MI (under $1000) products.

Our motto has always been to "design a few good products and support the hell out of them". As a small company, you can only support so many products well, and therefore, we have kept our product line lean. We also like to be thought of as kind of a premium company (if I may be so pretentious) and by keeping everything "professional" - I.E. balanced (differential inputs in and out), with military grade parts, unusual features, easy to use controls, and of course good customer service etc, it helps justify our higher price.

One other basic business reason keeps us from making lower priced gear... If we made a cheaper compressor for instance, it would affect the sales of our premium stuff. This would give our guys more things to do for more products, therefore not only split our market, but possibly cut into the time we spend tweaking, QCing and supporting our more premium gear.
Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear
Dave--

I agree on protecting a premium brand. I think there are a couple ways of approaching the problem. I like what Grace did with the 101. They put out a good preamp but not something the pro customers would buy instead of the 201. Obviously, the wall wart and one-half size unit helped in addition to the more technical differences.

BTW, I would like to grovel to you sometime about a short interview like the one I did with Tim Farrant.

--Steve
Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear

How about a $2000 all in one box true stereo distressor with one set of controlls?
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear