The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tape Saturation - a good thing?
Old 17th June 2018
Here for the gear

Tape Saturation - a good thing?

Hej Che,

I watched your q&a with fab at NAMM and of course noticed your use of tape saturation to get some smack in the recording. It seems you really push this plugins to get the sound you're after.

In my experience tape saturation is really difficult to control. It really changes everything, especially the low end of a track. I tend to pick real "saturators" to get my tracks some smack. (Like Decapitator or Amp Sims or something like that.) I find they are way easier to control.

How do you go about tape saturation. And did you use it for the 60th vibe?

Keep up,
JC
Old 21st June 2018
special guest

For those recordings I used tape saturation across every track on the individual instruments as opposed to the entire track. I reacts really differently in different instances. Sometimes it brings in too much distortion. Its a tricky thing. Part of it is I put more headroom in the track to let it have room to breathe.
When I started as a producer I used tape, so I'm always trying to warm stuff up or fatten it up to chase that sound. Sometimes I even compromise fidelity to get that warmth. There is no correct way to do it so to speak. Its just about playing with headroom more or less.
More often than not I use Studer a800 on individual instruments.
Sometimes I use an ampex plug in on my master depending on the track.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search