The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD vs analogue Channel Strip Plugins
Old 14th June 2018
Here for the gear

UAD vs analogue

What’s good Che?

My question is:
How has new technology like UAD’s Unison and component modelling changed your workflow?

The aim of any emulation is to stay as faithful to the original gain structures and clipping behaviors of these mostly older and/or boutique devices. This means that we should use the emulation plugins as if we would use them as their analogue counterparts most if not all of the time. So whether in the box or in the analogue world, if the gain structure and staging is mostly the same, does that mean that we still have to place them in a certain order just like their real outboard counterparts? And does this mean that, other than the obvious price difference, we are essentially ‘stuck’ with a certain workflow in order to make the most use of these emulations?

For example, I used the UAD 1073 on some vocals the other day and I had to adjust my gains quite drastically to make sure they didn’t clip. The end result was great but my faders were in places I would never expect them to be so I clearly need to rethink a few things...

Thanks for your time and big ups for your work!
Old 25th June 2018
special guest

Discovering UAD and console, was the first time I fully embraced plug-ins in the apollo system..just due to the price point and the quality alone.
I was not a huge fan of plug-ins prior to that discovery.

In response to using plug-ins and tradition signal flow...that is one of the most effective ways. You should learn that, but if you're working in your home studio and you're not subject to a time limit you should explore inappropriate and experimental techniques. That exploration is how you discover new tricks which will contribute to your individuality. To summarize, learn how to do **** the right way, before you start trying to do **** the wrong way.

*Due to the price point and fact that I owned the analog gear, I generally used to prefer to use the actual gear. Due to the quality and now accessibility of the UAD plugins, I can barely tell the difference between the analog outboard gear and the plug-ins. Its gotten that good. Sometimes my analog gear would buzz, just due to the nature of analog gear, so UAD has really made leaps and bounds on this.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search