The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bound 2 and other "jukebox joints"
Old 11th June 2018
Lives for gear

Bound 2 and other "jukebox joints"

Other than the chorus part with Charlie Wilson, the verse sections for "Bound 2" seemed like they were totally stripped down with Kanye simply rapping over the 2-track sample.

I make a lot of raw "jukebox joints" like these. When stem mixing is impossible, how do you get the vocals to sit properly and also get the sample to compete with other more modern records?
Old 3 weeks ago
Moderator bump to page 1
Old 3 weeks ago
special guest

Well...
I started on SB1200's and MPC's. 8 Bit and 12 bit machines...I would then go to a NEVE pre to tape, which gave the sample an unbelievable warm texture. Sitting a vocal on top was never difficult because of the warmth. The difference with modern era is that everything is thinner. Its harder to get that separation. A lot of what we do is to still attempt to find that sound, so with that said we are usually mixing from stems. We often replay samples, so even if we're using the samples there's still the individual instruments so we can bring certain sounds out. Even though we use samples, we still use instrumentation in addition.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search