The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced

Q+A with Charles Dye

Options
Announcement: The Gearslutz 2018 Member Survey is on! Whitecat
29th March 2018 Views: 2,218
Views: 2,218
29th March 2018
Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post

Charles, I am curious about your thoughts on this subject. I feel we all are as engineers responsible for the loudness race...

AUDIOSFX
replies: 19 views: 2,880
edmann 12th April 2004

am interested if some of you have experienced the same: some of my mixes seem to change speed when played in different locations....

Chokoo
replies: 3 views: 1,650
Rail Jon Rogut 12th April 2004

Just went to your site and read this tease for about the fifth time: "But like I said earlier, mixing is not as difficult...

Mike Jasper
replies: 19 views: 3,896
picksail 11th April 2004

I've been a long time fan of Genelec. ADAMs have been getting a lot of press lately. I've haven't had the opportunity to check...

Jamz
replies: 15 views: 5,270
C.Lambrechts 11th April 2004

The final version 2.0 of the Pro Tools Session Guidelines is now available. It has been completely re-written incorporating...

Charles Dye
replies: 26 views: 5,535
Shan 9th April 2004

Running Digi001 PTLE on an antiquated Mac 350Mhz G3 makes creating mixes that will compete with "pro" systems a...

Curve Dominant
replies: 14 views: 2,829
Curve Dominant 9th April 2004

What is it like mixing with the new PT software? Spill da beenz! hittt

Jules
replies: 28 views: 4,912
coffeeanan 9th April 2004

Charles, Each situation when working with electric guitar is like a snowflake. What are some of your Guitar/ Amp and...

e-cue
replies: 12 views: 3,438
nikki-k 9th April 2004

Hi Charles Let's assume that all tracks are recorded very well. Live instruments...Rock. Can you offer...

Jamz
replies: 4 views: 3,707
matucha 9th April 2004

I'm going after some vocals on this record, all in all tracked nice but a few plosives, esssses, and such. I've tried the...

cajonezzz
replies: 23 views: 4,643
jho 8th April 2004

Hi, I've considered mixing in the box. I'm using PT LE, got two 001s, one on MAC (OSX) and one on PC (XP). However, these...

charleslee
replies: 4 views: 2,494
genericperson 7th April 2004

Hi Charles, I'm interested in what you consider basic mixing knowledge when it comes down to mixing for rock/hard rock. I know...

JZ_FM
replies: 12 views: 2,788
JZ_FM 7th April 2004

Hi, ...I'm curious what different approaches people use on panning and what you can get away with and still have the lead vox up...

guittarzzan
replies: 6 views: 3,442
Charles Dye 7th April 2004

Hi Charles! I noticed Ricky Martin has some surround stuff released. I don't know if you have worked on that, but I was...

strauss
replies: 1 views: 1,729

I know we've got the audiosuite reverse but I'd like one in real time.. any ideas?

Renie
replies: 12 views: 4,469

Hi Charles how are you? Your article is very informative and inspiring. My question is, when you use the aux fx are are they in...

producer2g
replies: 1 views: 2,808
Charles Dye 6th April 2004

What format(s) are you bringing to mastering houses these days? I do all of my mxing in PT.

Jamz
replies: 2 views: 3,338
Charles Dye 6th April 2004

Whoa, That is cool to me that you worked with Bass Mekanik. I am a big fan of Miami Bass - it is one of those styles I just...

DanV
replies: 1 views: 1,843
Charles Dye 5th April 2004

Hi Charles, welcome back. howdy - Just wanted to ask you about two things I learned (and use) from your HDL/Crease sessions -...

bassmac
replies: 3 views: 1,704
bassmac 4th April 2004

Let's speak about the recording process : DAW Record Making Techniques as Charles suggested. It's a very large subject, I am...

krid
replies: 5 views: 2,879
Charles Dye 4th April 2004

Hey welcome back Charles! Great to heve you round here again. (this will be Charles' 2nd Guest Mod appearance on...

Jules
replies: 11 views: 2,284
Charles Dye 3rd April 2004

Hi Charles, Do you think Digidesign will ever implement a Freeze track function in Pro Tools like every other Pro audio...

littledoodler
replies: 2 views: 4,040
littledoodler 2nd April 2004

WHHAAASSSUUUPPP??!!! I am STILL exploring some of the stuff I learned from your last visit here. The whole...

Curve Dominant
replies: 1 views: 1,783
Charles Dye 2nd April 2004

We are coming to the end of Charles' tenure here on Gearslutz! It's been awesome havin ya here...

Jules
replies: 12 views: 3,701
Charles Dye 1st December 2002

I'm gonna make the move from mix to HD What reverbs are you guys using? Who has plates to replace Lexiverb? What other plug...

no ssl yet
replies: 18 views: 1,402
Kamurah 1st December 2002

One of the things I wanted to find out from this forum was if it was possible to put out high quality, album-worthy tracks using...

Mike Jasper
replies: 3 views: 2,003
Morningstar 1st December 2002

Hi EveAnna, looking forward to your moderating this month.... What's the skinny on "the Wave" that I stumbled across...

cajonezzz
replies: 1 views: 1,802
EveAnna Manley 1st December 2002

I have to do a quick "master" for a band to send off to a label tommorrow (just a demo for them to hear what we're up...

XHipHop
replies: 7 views: 1,110
CrazyBeast 1st December 2002

Archiving PT session material for storage + later retrieval is an issue that has been discussed at great length on many forums....

Charles Dye
replies: 7 views: 1,267
groundcontrol 1st December 2002

A survey, of sorts. First off, is there a kitchen in your studio? If so, how well is it equipped? Details?? What sorts of...

Curve Dominant
replies: 19 views: 1,348
Logan 30th November 2002

hi Charles, how are you, we spoke one the digidesign tour in wienna austria ... two guys from Slovenia:) ... I am...

mihau
replies: 4 views: 923
Charles Dye 30th November 2002

Are you using PT's midi, or are you using another program, or possibly a second computer? And why. Feel free to elaborate...

kushan_ku
replies: 16 views: 1,364
kushan_ku 29th November 2002

just want to say thank you³ for your time & idea sharings !!! i really appreciate that and look forward to see you again...

5down1up
replies: 3 views: 1,306
Charles Dye 29th November 2002

Several people have said that HD's mixer sounds much better than MIx's From my understanding the main mixer difference in HD is...

no ssl yet
replies: 25 views: 2,975
Ckevperry 29th November 2002

What audible difference is heard with quality A/D converters over the ones in the XT20? Are there other reasons one would want...

woods
replies: 0 views: 1,342
woods 29th November 2002

Hey Charles, I posted this elsewhere but you may have missed it. What are your thoughts on using the Apogee Trak2 to dither...

Jotown
replies: 16 views: 1,684
Mike Jasper 29th November 2002

I was at Charles Dye Web site today and read an amazing quote. "In the studios that I work at there are no patch cables,...

Mike Jasper
replies: 1 views: 649
Charles Dye 28th November 2002

Hey Charles, I'm new here to this site and have been reading your post, and find them quite interesting. I don't know if you...

M2E
replies: 6 views: 2,401
Charles Dye 28th November 2002

Hello guys! What do you guys suggest to do some mastering at my home studio? Which softwares? Right now I do have PT LE...

jeronimo
replies: 5 views: 1,308
C.Lambrechts 27th November 2002

I play a variety of instruemnts, keyboard, guitar, simple percussion instrurments (simple until you try to keep in time), vocals,...

raucous
replies: 12 views: 2,215
MattiMattMatt 26th November 2002

Red eyes, sore back, no sleep, coffee breath, ringing ears, and a pissed off wife, who's mixing their band's demo???...

Morningstar
replies: 10 views: 2,876
Jax 26th November 2002

Doesn't have to neccesarily be the same plug. Just curious what everyone is using for these stanfard FX.

Jamz
replies: 18 views: 4,983
tld 26th November 2002

I've spent the last week or so mixing a record that was recorded in PT version 5.something (I'd have to fire up the system and...

Jay Kahrs
replies: 38 views: 2,460
Jules 26th November 2002

Hey Charles, Thank you for all of your help, here and at the DUC. You have given me much information and inspiration. How...

Jotown
replies: 3 views: 3,581
Charles Dye 26th November 2002

Hi Charles I've got a request. I know you do excellent work in your Hard disk Life series, opening up the process and world of...

Renie
replies: 15 views: 2,484
Jax 26th November 2002

Hi Charles, Really enjoying having you as a guest moderator. I understand that you're a fan of the C12 vr and that you've used...

Bernard
replies: 12 views: 8,554
Tubelover 26th November 2002

Charles, A quick question if I may... Tracks PWR1/PWR2 in HDL 7/Crease / Bass + Guitars (New tracks not mentioned in...

JB3
replies: 17 views: 2,172
plexi 25th November 2002

Hey gang, In response to a few emails I got on how I recorded and mixed vocals for a song I posted on this forum the other...

Pete Weaver
replies: 9 views: 8,806
Pete Weaver 25th November 2002

All of these analog vs. digital arguments have got me down lately. I've been guilty of fanning the flames as much as anyone....

Curve Dominant
replies: 11 views: 15,710
groundcontrol 25th November 2002

Hey Charles, hey gang, Let's talk about rock vocals, male and female. Do you believe in double tracking? If so do you...

Pete Weaver
replies: 21 views: 33,329
mixer 25th November 2002
Forum Tools
Search this Forum
Search this Forum :

Advanced Search