The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Session Data Interchange Format—Your Suggestions Please
Old 28th November 2002
FX smörgåsbord user

Session Data Interchange Format—Your Suggestions Please

Archiving PT session material for storage + later retrieval is an issue that has been discussed at great length on many forums. I'd like to discuss a related, but separate question:

When transferring a PT session from one studio to another (across town, country or planet) what formats would you like to see as standards?

I feel the formats should be as close as possible to universal. IOW, most PT systems should be able to load the data without having to deal with third party software or additional hardware other than their computer and hard drives.

My preferences are:
  • SCSI or Firewire Hard Drives—making going to work essentially plug + play.
  • CD's—Even a 64 track session when consolidated with unused files removed will easily fit on 4 CD's, and these days every computer has the ability to read the data.
  • In the future DVD's—in a couple of years when most computers have DVD drives this will be an excellent way to transfer sessions.
When I send a session in the first two formats I feel very confident that I am not creating any problems for the studio on the other end and that they will get everything I want them to. The goal here is: no phone calls.

What are your preferences?
Old 29th November 2002
Lives for gear

Pretty much like you.

Firewire is definitely the #1 standard for PT studios in town right now. We're starting to see more DVD action lately.
Old 29th November 2002
Gear Head

DVD data though is such an unreliable format compared to the rest its failure rate is so much higher then CDS. I really like firewire drives. But even a bare drive with no enclosure as long as its one I can aprove and support is cool.
Old 29th November 2002
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Cannon Fo So
DVD data though is such an unreliable format compared to the rest its failure rate is so much higher then CDS. I really like firewire drives. But even a bare drive with no enclosure as long as its one I can aprove and support is cool.

Guys, I've never seen a "bare" firewire drive - sans enclosure. Any links by chance?

NYC Drew
Old 29th November 2002
Gear Head

dirt cheapdrives.com. Ill tell ya what I do. I own a couple OWC Mecury elites. In one of em I leave the case off and just keep buying Western Digital bare drives and replacing it from project to project to save bands $$$$.
Old 30th November 2002
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally posted by NYC Drew
Guys, I've never seen a "bare" firewire drive - sans enclosure. Any links by chance?
Check out Wiebetech' FireWire DriveDock at http://www.wiebetech.com. i suspect we'll be seeing a lot of them…

--t
[london, canada & echo cañon, nyc]
Old 30th November 2002
Firewire Hot swap sounds cool to me!

I get 64 tracks + massive edit density of one SCSI hot swap drive..

Can I do that with firewire???
Old 1st December 2002
Lives for gear

From what I've experienced so far I'd say yes.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search