The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Hey Charles Do you notice?
Old 26th November 2002
Lives for gear

Question Hey Charles Do you notice?

Hey Charles,
I'm new here to this site and have been reading your post, and find them quite interesting. I don't know if you had a chance yet to listen to these scenreos but here's my question.
The last couple records I've mixed all in the box, I've bypassed the so called "thin aux busses" and mixed everything through the Master Fader.
When mixing do you perfer to use the Aux Busses for your Drums, Bgv's, Keyboards etc, then those go to your master fader?
And when puting your master fader plug's on do you use them in stereo mode or multi mono mode or does that matter?
Also have you ever took the chance and recorded through a plugin for vocals, gtr, bass etc.

Be interested in what you think.

M2E
Old 26th November 2002
Lives for gear

Just a note before CD arrives...

According to Chris Townsend from Digidesign; the aux busses on PT | HD have the same precision and headroom as the master buss.

Old 27th November 2002
On Mix + rig - I just use mine for FX returns...
Old 27th November 2002
FX smörgåsbord user

I pretty much only sub-mix drums on auxes, everything else I send through the Master bus. I use multi-mono on Analog Channel AC1 (sounds a little more analog), and stereo mode on the rest. Multi-mono on a compressor across the master bus would not be a good thing (would mess with the L/R balance).

Yes, I have recorded through plug-ins. My preference is still to use analog processing gear going in, but if I'm willing to mix records with plugs, I might as well use them if I need them for tracking.
Old 28th November 2002
Lives for gear

Thanx for your reply, guys. What are your settings for the AC-1? Do you use it when you mix down for records as well? Also when mixing down for a mastering guy later what all do you put on your master fader? Do you still use the DUY Wide on Final Mixes?
Or do you just use it for pre or demo mixes?
I have another type of question also for you or anyone else here.
I just bought a Shure Drum Mic Kit that comes with 3 SM57's and a Beta 52.
I also have a SM57 of my own already and also an AKG C1000 and a AKG 414TL2 and last but not least a Neumann U87. What's the best way to setup for drums using these mics and do I need any other type of Drum Mic or is this cool? Is it alright to have a whole bunch of the same mics when miking up drums?

Thanx
M2E
Old 28th November 2002
Lives for gear

You're quite fine with your drum Mics. I'd prefer to have a stereo pair of overheads (read 2 AKG 414) but you could use the 414 as a ride overhead and the C 1000 as a crash overhead.
The SM 57 would go to the toms and snare the Beta 52 into the kick.
You could use your U 87 as a room mic (if your room is ok and you like it), but lately I take my U 87 as a stand tom mic and I really love it in this application.

Check it out Jo
Old 28th November 2002
FX smörgåsbord user

M2E,

"What are your settings for the AC-1? Do you use it when you mix down for records as well?"

I prefer the Console 1, 2 + 3 presets as starting points for the Master Fader, and I use AC1 on the Master for all mixes (Demos to Final Masters). For more check out the The Art of Pro Tools thread.

"Also when mixing down for a mastering guy later what all do you put on your master fader?"

Check out the How do you prepare your mix for mastering? thread.

And the Charles, concerning master fader plugins, thread.

There's lots of really great post there answering your questions.

"Do you still use the DUY Wide on Final Mixes? Or do you just use it for pre or demo mixes?"

If I don't have Wide on the Master Fader for a demo or rough mix that's cool, but I when I really use it is for Final Mixes. It is absolutely a "record" quality effect.

Also, check out the DUY - Wide plug in? thread.

Hope this helps.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search