The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What is the best Chorus/flanger/phaser for Pro Tools?
Old 17th November 2002
What is the best Chorus/flanger/phaser for Pro Tools?

Doesn't have to neccesarily be the same plug. Just curious what everyone is using for these stanfard FX.
Old 17th November 2002
tld
Here for the gear

I use the WaveMechanics PitchBlender quite a bit for chorus type effects. I find I can get a pretty wide sounding chorus without getting that out-of-tune sound. As a matter of fact, I view the SoundBlender stuff as a must-have. I also like the Waves MondoMod for chorus when I don't need a real wide chorus.

For flanging I really like the Waves Meta Flanger.

Tom
Old 18th November 2002
Lives for gear

Yeah what Tom said... also, the TC/Works chorus is pretty good for a classic SPX "symphonic" kind of chorus. Funny thing is I'm looking to get a TC hardware box these days. Go figure...
Old 18th November 2002
Lives for gear

Chorus : TC Chorus, or Mondomod for the trippier chorus
Flanger : MegaFlanger
Phaser : MegaFlanger
Old 18th November 2002
FX smörgåsbord user

TC|Chorus - Hi-Trash Flanger. For a smooth, soft, almost chorussy sounding flange.
MetaFlanger - Mutron Bi-Phase. For the more traditional deep flange effect.

Tom,

Do you have any presets on SoundBlender you use as starting points for chorus?
Old 18th November 2002
Lives for gear

Again WaveMechanics PitchBlender.
I just flick through the presets find something in the ballpark and play with it. Its another of those plugins with a lot to play with, Which can be good or bad, normally get most things I want by fiddling with it.
Old 18th November 2002
Gear Maniac

yup

I second the motion...I really like the soundblender and mondomod.

Sometimes you can also get pretty decent effects by automating delay sweeps with a duplicate track....a little time consuming but you get that added bonus of saying "I DID THAT"
Old 18th November 2002
Lives for gear

I use LE with a Digi 001, so I can't use Sound Blender or TC/Works. Getting a good chorus sound has been a challenge, and I've tried ModoMod, MetaFlanger and SuperTap Waves plugs to get the sound I want -- usually for a chorused guitar, both electric and acoustic.

That said, I haven't really found the sound I want, but I'm getting closer. It's odd to me that something so basic as chorus has been so tough to sort out. Don't have this problem getting flange, delay or reverb through plugs.

Jasper
Old 19th November 2002
Lives for gear

I haven't tried it, but you can get flanging and chorusing with the stock Digi ModDelay plugs. I'm gonna give it a try on the weekend, might be cool.

I'm not sure whether I'm going to update the TC stuff for HD yet.

Stefan Nowak

Mp3 Demo @ http://www.mp3.com.au/stefannowak
Old 19th November 2002
Lives for gear

Soundblender is the bomb..

I really dig the " Hi Trash " Flanger in the TC plug as well, and the moogerfooger phaser is a cool plug as well, but apparently the hardware unit rocks way harder...
Old 19th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
posted by Mike Jasper:
I use LE with a Digi 001, so I can't use Sound Blender or TC/Works. Getting a good chorus sound has been a challenge
Dude,

Find some new/used stompboxes, like a Boss CE-3. No sh!t, it's dope.

Send out to the stompbox, and back in via stereo trax.

Even with a mono stompbox, like the ElectroHarmonix Small Stone phase shifter: Send out one track and back in, then another, with an alternating envelope, and pan the two tracks. Blammo! Yo, it's ill.

Don't get me wrong: I LOVE plugins. But stompboxes have an ill sound, and they don't hog CPU power.

YMMV.
Old 19th November 2002
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Curve Dominant

Dude,

i'm with you there, Curve D. For guitars and prophet~5, the CE-3 and the BF-2 flanger are the best chorus on earth (the newer choruses suck). You've gotta do a trick phase thing to cancel out the dry signal, but whatever.

Well, actually, if you can find an old Roland SBF-325 - the industrial stereo 2U rack-mounted version of both pedals, it can be even better, but the signal path is longer than the pedals and you lose a bit of high end.

Dimension D's are wonderful, and the built-in chorus on my old RS-09 string machine (stereo out with a mono external audio input!) is pretty happening... and i can pretend i'm in the cure and get the sound from The Funeral Party.

i keep playing with plug-ins, but they all seem too plasticky sounding. Believe it or not, i usually end up with a feedback loop through an Aux track (or two) with the stock digi Slap Delay (at 100% mix/filter off it has no character) going through the Filterbank F1 low-pass with a bit of resonance if necessary (the character), and feeding back into itself. You can flip the phase on the Slap plug, and do ping-pongs between two tracks for stereo. This is my formula for most delay based effects these days.

For vocals, it's still all about the Eventide.

--t
[london, canada & echo cañon, nyc]
Old 19th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Glasgow
For vocals, it's still all about the Eventide.
I have too agree with you there!
Old 19th November 2002
Lives for gear

Huh. I'll give the Boss a shot. I also have a TC Chorus/Flanger I'll try.

Jasper
Old 19th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Curve Dominant

Dude,

Send out to the stompbox, and back in via stereo trax.

Even with a mono stompbox, like the ElectroHarmonix Small Stone phase shifter: Send out one track and back in, then another, with an alternating envelope, and pan the two tracks. Blammo! Yo, it's ill.
Uhm, no mention of impedence matching?
Old 19th November 2002
tld
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Charles Dye

Tom,

Do you have any presets on SoundBlender you use as starting points for chorus?
Hey Charles. I would have replied sooner, but I've been busy and hadn't checked the forum for a few days...

Here's one

I actually may have some slightly better presets since I posted that one...I'd have to check.

One note about the way I tend to use that: Although it breaks all the rules to do so, I often output a guitar track directly to a stereo buss with a setting like this, plus possibly other effects such as tap delay, rather than the proper technique of using sends with 100% wet effects. I like doing this to simulate the effect of guitar multi effects processors where the effects are truely in series. That is...the chorus is affecting the echo repeats as well as the direct signal.

Using that preset 100% wet via a send may change it's sound a little, as it will be adding a bit of predelay (due to the plugin latency).

Tom
Old 19th November 2002
s2n
Gear Nut

Too bad those Digidesign D-FX plugins are AudioSuite only. The Chorus and Flanger plugs aren't too bad.
Old 19th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Too bad those Digidesign D-FX plugins are AudioSuite only. The Chorus and Flanger plugs aren't too bad.

You're right. I tried the demo out last night and the chorus sounds great, but it's Audiosuite, not real time. If only.

Jasper
Old 26th November 2002
tld
Here for the gear

Just curious...has anyone done much in the way of comparing SoundBlender to Eventide hardware? As I understand it, Wave Mechanics was started by ex-Eventide folks. I've never had the chance to use any Eventide equipment myself.

Tom
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search