The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AKG C12 vr
Old 15th November 2002
Bernard 
AKG C12 vr

Hi Charles, Really enjoying having you as a guest moderator. I understand that you're a fan of the C12 vr and that you've used this mike on many of the "big" sessions you've engineered. What are the qualities that you look for in vocal mike and in matching to the vocalist. Was the C12 vr stock or a mod? Thanks !

Old 18th November 2002
FX smörgåsbord user

The C12 VR's I've used were stock. The qualities I look for in a mike is to reinforce the good qualities in the singer's voice and make up for any shortcomings if they have them.

For example, if a singer has a high and thin voice, I would definitely not choose a bright mic. I would go for a warmer, thicker mic that would give the singer a fuller vocal timbre. And so on.
Old 19th November 2002
Gear Addict

I have a C12vr. I know everyone on these forums hates them, and I know why, but I have gotten some great vocal sounds out of mine. I usually use it with a Neve pre to an Avalon 2044 or a DBX 165a if I want a brighter sound.

Steve
Old 19th November 2002
Lives for gear

Stephen Paul can do some magic with a C12 vr
Old 19th November 2002
Lives for gear

Yeah but by the time it leaves his lab, all that's still there of the original mic is the headgrill, outside shell and xlr connector. I guess on that count you could say that SP can do magic with a lead pipe. grggt
Old 21st November 2002
Here for the gear

Hey Charles,

Would you consider the C12vr to be a good choice for someone
with a high thin voice or do you find it to be a bright mic?

Do you use the modern "green" version of the C12 or is yours
a vintage model from the 60's?

Pete
Old 21st November 2002
Lives for gear

I'm cuirious too, Charles. I'd like to hear more on what mics you use for male, female, high, thin, thick.

And mics for other applications.

Jasper
Old 21st November 2002
FX smörgåsbord user

The "VR" means it is the new version, not the vinatage, and I would consider it to be relatively bright. I have used it on female vocals, but I would not use it on a thin voiced singer.
Old 23rd November 2002
One with big hooves

I'm curious as to why you pick the VR over other mics and over what other mics. I've never found anything that I think it sounds all that great on, especially considering the cost. They aren't exactly cheap. If I came across one for under $2K I might consider it but there are lots of other mics under $2K that I think sound better and are far more versatile, aka not sucking most of the time on whatever I put them in front of.
Old 23rd November 2002
Lives for gear

I'm with you Jay . . The VR or 'the tube' never did much for me. I had 'the tube'. The only good thing I know about them is Stephen Paul can turn them around into some good mics. To each his own.
Old 24th November 2002
Lives for gear

You should ask Thrillfactor what he thinks of the VR... heh
Old 24th November 2002
One with big hooves

I think it was Fletcher who said that VR stands for Very Rotten. It rates up there with the Solid Boob IMHO. Actually, I think the Solid Boob is a bit better because it's way cheaper. And you can see the glowy thing inside.
Old 26th November 2002
Gear Maniac

There's one on ebay for $3700 today, sheesh you gotta be kidding. I could buy a great sounding Lawson and take a couple of weeks off for the that kind of cash.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search