The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Seperation In Your Mix: How You Do It? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 19th November 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by Curve Dominant

Yeah man...What is up with that? I mean, what kind of mixing Judo trick is that where something will disappear in mono? Does one need to mix on an SSL for that to happen?rollz

This tends to happen more when you are using effect tricks that are "phase based", such as Spatializers. If you push your stereo sounds totally to the outside, this is close to being 180 degrees out of phase.

Sometimes a technique that's done to get a wider stereo spectrum is to put two stereo instruments out of phase from each other for eg(shakers or hihats) in dance music. It sounds cool in stereo but in mono its practically gone.
Old 19th November 2002
Gear Nut

As usual got here late...

Mono. Mono is my biggest helper when it comes to E.Q 'ing instruments to get space. I pan all Inst to mono & then start Trying to get a sense of space on the inst that need it by sculpting the EQ until I feel the lessening of any doubled harmonics that seem displeasing. This way I can use pan Proactively and not reactively

BTW Curve Dominant.. I thought Nature was in mono?

Certainly will EQ L/R tracks slightly differently to widen the field
( will check these later in stereo)

Often will DUCK ( gently) my Vocal reverb/delay return, Using the vocal send as a trigger, so I get a sense of more verb BUt also one that is not static or too loud for too often
( IME Digital verbs & delays suffer from a low Sample Rate & again IME localization & Spaciality clues are included in the upper harmonics that we don't 'Hear' Also I find the static nature of most Regenerations wrong.

I will also gently Duck any Pads using the vocal as the trigger.

I tend to HPF everything cept DA KIK.
( Ok maybe the bass sometimes)

I analyse the EQ profile of my vocal & any efx returns assoc with it & then gently notch out this area of the freq spectrum in EVERY other track (not at the exact same numbers but where ever sounds good on an Inst by Inst basis)

I use a dual mono reverb on any long reverb needs

I mute like a mutha funker

I LOVE DIGITAL/I LOVE ANALOG
Old 19th November 2002
Gear Head

Quote:
I noticed that, on a few tracks, the bass guitar had slightly less presence than when listening in stereo. Understandable, since the bass is always in the middle, and so moving everything else to the middle crowds it out a little.
The bass should come up in mono Eric. Instruments panned hard left and right will be 3db lower in mono than something panned center. That's the main reason to check mono (apart from phase cancellation)...because the balance changes.

cheers
JOhn
Old 20th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
BTW Curve Dominant.. I thought Nature was in mono?
I thought nature was in 5.1 surround, and we listen in stereo...
Old 20th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
posted by John Sayers:
The bass should come up in mono Eric. Instruments panned hard left and right will be 3db lower in mono than something panned center. That's the main reason to check mono (apart from phase cancellation)...because the balance changes.
Arrghh...I gotta check my system. Thanks John.
Old 20th November 2002
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by Curve Dominant

I thought nature was in 5.1 surround, and we listen in stereo...

Is that the THX spec or a different spec? <g>
Old 20th November 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

pretty much OT

Speaking of THX, Attack of the Clones SUCKED on IMAX and the worst part of it was the sound.

What a disappointment.

grudge
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search