The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Way 2 Print Ur Mixes
Old 13th November 2002
Gear Addict

Question Best Way 2 Print Ur Mixes

hello everyone!
how r u guys printing ur mixes ? do u guys bounce to disk, route it out to dac n to 2trk machine like masterlink, route it out 2 dac then back to ur daw via adc ? what formats r u guys taking to the mastering ? or rather, what's the best format to take to the mastering ? i once took 2 mono 24bit sd2 44.1khz files to oasis mastering in studio city, cali only to find out they couldn't open it right. i used protools, they used nuendo ?????????
it was first time for me to take audio file data instead of dat tapes. i'm now really cautious of taking audio files to the mastering. or is this just one of those rare case ?
everyone's input appreciated
Old 13th November 2002
Best is to phone ahead and ask the mastering person

(in the UK sadly, you can't trust the receptionist or the studio manager with this question, they simply aren't hip with it yet)

My mix is made in analog - I use a 96k Masterink and take the machine with me to mastering (they are a little rare here in the UK)

Good question..

Old 13th November 2002
Lives for gear

Mixing out of console back to stereo track in DAW via HEDD A/D. Export selected as stereo interleavened files for mastering.
Old 13th November 2002
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by blackcatdigi
Mixing out of console back to stereo track in DAW via HEDD A/D. Export selected as stereo interleavened files for mastering.
Ditto here...
Old 13th November 2002
Lives for gear

How is it possible that a mastering studio can't open SD2 files. Are they home-recorder or what? Sorry but check another studio.

Jo

BTW I take my CDR out of my Masterlink and go to the mastering studio. But you check it better with the mastering guy which format he likes (Masterlinks are still not used by everybody- too bad )
Old 13th November 2002
ProTools HD-Hedd D/A(48Kor 44.1K)-Analog Comp/EQ-Hedd A/D 24bit(88.2K or 44.1K)-Masterlink.

Sometimes its 1/2" at the end.

I agree with Jules try to find out ahead of time if possible.
Old 13th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by studjo
How is it possible that a mastering studio can't open SD2 files. Are they home-recorder or what? Sorry but check another studio.
You'd be surprised... I just got back from a mastering session with a major house (multiple platinum releases) last week...

And now the rant:

I prepared several versions of data cds (stereo interleavened AIFFs & WAVs @ 24/48k) using several different disc burning apps and just for redundancy, a standard audio cd (created in Masterlist from the 24/48k mixs, using dither and noise shaping in MLCD).

Guess what we used!

Surprise, Surprise... Sadie can't find the data on ANY of the data cds.

Good thing I had the audio cd with me, or we would have been F'd.

Again, I'm not going to name names, but this is a major facility. And they can't use data from a PT Mac system. WTF?

(...Its not like Mac PT systems are a rarity. And I don't feel its my responsibility to make additional purchases for the benefit of mastering houses. This should be dealt with on their end, no?...)

Sorry for the rant.
Old 13th November 2002
Lives for gear

WTF is going on with those mastering engineers. In my humble opinion it's their duty to have a variety of formats that they can use.
I'm responsible for the mix and the sound out of the desk into the master. I shouldn't have to worry which freaking system the mastering guy uses. He has to open my files.
How much is a digi 001 system in the states? I know a guy that uses it for opening the files and goes then digitally into a sonic solution system (and it sounds fine).

Sorry for the rant but I get very upset when someone calls himself mastering studio (or producer or recording studio) and doesn't know **** (btw that's the reason why I'm not mastering).

Jo
Old 13th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules

My mix is made in analog - I use a 96k Masterink and take the machine with me to mastering (they are a little rare here in the UK)

I know a few engineers that will carry theirs to other studios in soft cases here as well....

We're sending ours out during the new studio build down time to get up graded..... Hey Jules what Version software is your Masterlink? Have you had any problems with the cd drive being finnicky about what it'll play?
Old 13th November 2002
Lives for gear

Next time I go to mastering, I'll be carrying my Ibook and a Mbox with me.

I'll feed the chain with the dig out of the mbox.

SWEET... Why didn't I think of that?

Jules, leave that Masterlink in the rack!
Old 14th November 2002
Lives for gear

[QUOTE]Originally posted by blackcatdigi
[B]Surprise, Surprise... Sadie can't find the data on ANY of the data cds.QUOTE]

Did you burn ISO9660 CD's? Of course PC's won't be able to mount the Mac-format CD unless they have "Mac Opener" installed, and even then, MO can only access the first session of a multi-session CD. I've seen some otherwise competent older mastering engineers (not at major studios though) who have very good ears but are rather at a loss with the general concepts of operating a computer system...
Old 14th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by groundcontrol
Did you burn ISO9660 CD's? Of course PC's won't be able to mount the Mac-format CD unless they have "Mac Opener" installed, and even then, MO can only access the first session of a multi-session CD. [/B]
Yes, they were ISO9660 cds, named appropriately, etc.

Sadie 'saw' and mounted the discs, but couldn't pull any data off them.

My point is (I feel) that the mastering houses should deal with these issues on their end (and on their dime). That is THEIR gig.

Should I buy the guy (with the $20,000 convertors and the $50,000 monitors) a copy of "Mac Opener?"

BTW, This was never been a problem on the Sonic systems, but most of the big houses have moved over to Sadie on PC...

Okay, I'm done whining about this. Sorry for the rant.
Old 14th November 2002
s2n
Gear Nut

1/2" or 1/4" analog.
Safety back to Pro Tools via PSX100.
24/44.1 .WAV ISO9660 data CD.
Old 14th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by blackcatdigi
My point is (I feel) that the mastering houses should deal with these issues on their end (and on their dime). That is THEIR gig.

Should I buy the guy (with the $20,000 convertors and the $50,000 monitors) a copy of "Mac Opener?"
I agree a 100%! tut
Old 16th November 2002
Lives for gear

I do the analog 1/2" + masterlink also.. but I dont't really like the
masterlink, very finiky about reading cds. Not a great confidence builder when the client wants to hear the premaster and it won't even play back a commercial CD...and why can't it burn on the fly?grudge
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search