The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thinking about 'tools. Electronic Drums
Old 2nd May 2004
Lives for gear

Thinking about 'tools.

Hello, my name is Ali and im 17 from New Jersey, USA. I have been recording and producing music since I have been 13 and I just might jump onto the tdm train. vst and pc constraints of many forms have been holding me back, and bouncing back tracks has become a heavy and unrewarding chore. I have purchased many plugs, such as waves and many synths, but am barely able to use them on my 2.8 ghz cpu. Im talking 1024 mb ram here, and the waves and synthesizers cpu constraint is just eating most of the pie. Im seriously thinking about at this point, selling my only peice of gear (my motu 828MkII) and leasing a Dual G5 PowerMac with a heavy amount of ram. Then in the near future leasing a audio interface and core system. Do you think this is worth it, since this is my life, and am heavily into audio engineering and read several books about it. Just thinking about the power of tdm and the sheer amount of resources available for dynamic processors is amazing. Any opinions? I am just sick of everything about the PC. It constantly feels like its falling apart, I say.
Old 2nd May 2004
Gear addict

I think it's worth turning over to a mac platform and upgrading to TDM/HD. I first started off with a Digi001 and thought I'd never need that much power and tracks. Well now I have a HD3 system and even now I encounter problems with having enought DSP power, plus I usually go over 50 tracks as well.
Old 2nd May 2004
Lives for gear

seeing accell just coming abroad made it more tempting (seeing how it demolished the original hd) and impact being the first accell powered plugin..., i cant wait to see what else is on the gravy boat queue. hopefully some more powerfull plugs and vintage emulators.
Old 2nd May 2004
Lives for gear

It seems to me that leasing doesn't make a lot of sense unless you own a business and can write it off. Leasing does make sense when you want to upgrade your gear all of the time, write it off, and not worry about depreciation.

But in your situation you're talking about selling your only piece of gear and you mentioned having bought a lot of plugins for your current system. So if you have a financial issue somewhere down the road you'll have to give back all of the leased gear and you're left with nothing. All of the money you spent on plugs is useless and you will have paid a bunch of money into the lease with nothing to show for it.

I think that the age you are now is a great time to really force yourself to work within the limitations you have and learn the gear inside out regardless of any shortcomings. Then soon enough you'll have the money you need to upgrade to the gear you want and by that point your skills will be ready for it.
Old 22nd May 2004

Re: Thinking about 'tools.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sirocco
Hello, my name is Ali and im 17 from New Jersey, USA. I have been recording and producing music since I have been 13 and I just might jump onto the tdm train. vst and pc constraints of many forms have been holding me back, and bouncing back tracks has become a heavy and unrewarding chore. I have purchased many plugs, such as waves and many synths, but am barely able to use them on my 2.8 ghz cpu. Im talking 1024 mb ram here, and the waves and synthesizers cpu constraint is just eating most of the pie. Im seriously thinking about at this point, selling my only peice of gear (my motu 828MkII) and leasing a Dual G5 PowerMac with a heavy amount of ram. Then in the near future leasing a audio interface and core system. Do you think this is worth it, since this is my life, and am heavily into audio engineering and read several books about it. Just thinking about the power of tdm and the sheer amount of resources available for dynamic processors is amazing. Any opinions? I am just sick of everything about the PC. It constantly feels like its falling apart, I say.

I like using Mac for music.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search