The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Some new PT Plug-ins and opinions please 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 24th April 2004
Lives for gear

Some new PT Plug-ins and opinions please

Some of the more recent plug-in releases are sounding really great. I LOVE the Eventide Reverb, great control, also Princeton 2016 plug and of course the URS A, N and S series sound very nice. I can't decide on what to get heh Any opinions would be appreciated. Also has anyone tried or own the new S1 synth version by McDSP, I know it has been around for awhile but it seems to have changed a lot lately.
Old 24th April 2004
Lives for gear

I've tested the S1. Fairly analogueish. A nice supplement to the Indigo. If I had to choose, I'd go for Indigo.
As for me, I'm a Reaktor man.

ruudman
Old 25th April 2004
Lives for gear

Hi!
I absolutely love the TL stuff (Space and EveryPhase), and the URS stuff (ahh- mmm- EQ...mmmm).
If URS throw a good "surgical" EQ out there, and then toss us some Dynamics, well...drooling would definitely happen (ok, happen more...) heh
Old 25th April 2004
URS EQ's
Sony EQ's
UA 1176
Sony Dynamics
Sony Trans Mod
Sony Inflator

Pretty good package there!

Old 26th April 2004
Lives for gear

hope this isnt off topic-
im about to go OSX , and one element ive liked is the metric halo channelstrip compressor. to me its what comes closest to the old ssl e series quad compressor-and i have room to mix into it and it wont colapse , it just gets meaner. you just gotta love that threshold slider with the auto gain correction. other compressors dont seem to have as wide a window to work in and dont smear right. or they dont have the whiplash.
heres my question- now that the digi compressor IMPACT has had its attack time bug corrected - is it awesome now and sounding like the ssl compressor they shamelessly ripped off??? is it worth me swapping out a process card for an accel so i can slam this puppy , or is it the wrong animal???
thanks
s
Old 26th April 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by stealthbalance
im about to go OSX , and one element ive liked is the metric halo channelstrip compressor. to me its what comes closest to the old ssl e series quad compressor-and i have room to mix into it and it wont colapse , it just gets meaner. you just gotta love that threshold slider with the auto gain correction. other compressors dont seem to have as wide a window to work in and dont smear right. or they dont have the whiplash.
heres my question- now that the digi compressor IMPACT has had its attack time bug corrected - is it awesome now and sounding like the ssl compressor they shamelessly ripped off??? is it worth me swapping out a process card for an accel so i can slam this puppy , or is it the wrong animal???
thanks
s
I haven't spent enough time with it, but my first impressions are that it's good and useable, and in the same "family" as the SSL; but nothing has yet to replace my SSL compressors for the stereo bus & drum sub.
Old 26th April 2004
Junior is waiting on that surfboard for the 'big one' the SSL compressor wave to come along!

(Like the rest of us...)
Old 26th April 2004
Lives for gear
Whoa Brian,

an Accel chip not an entire card was what George said. I hope he can get it down soon although I have to say I'd be quite happy with 1 per chip for now,

cheers,
Ruairi
Old 26th April 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
Junior is waiting on that surfboard for the 'big one' the SSL compressor wave to come along!

(Like the rest of us...)
"The Big One" will be when I can do everything in the box and not feel like I've sacraficed ANYTHING. I'm sure I'll see it in my lifetime/career. Maybe PT 6.4 will be helpful. So far I haven't found any EQ plugin that has as big of balls (for lack of a better decription) as my Amek.
Old 26th April 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by stealthbalance
thanks
s
I've spent a little time with it as well- post bug fix- and while I also need more time with it, sonically it doesn't jump out at me as something I want to use all the time... It's good and all I guess, but not something that made me go 'sweeeet!'
Old 27th April 2004
Gear interested

Is anyone really liking the Focusrite Forte, or the URS A series? I'm considering the purchase of one of these two. I'm just not sure which one to go with right now. Anyone done any comparisons to the real gear? I plan to do a shootout at a friends place next week ISA 215 vs Forte, and API 550A, 550A1, and 550B vs URS A series. I don't want to wait a whole week though if someone else has already done the work. I'm mainly using the Sony Oxford EQ right now, and its pretty nice, but I just can't get the same sound on drums as quickly as I can with an API 550. Any other recommendations?

Thanks

Adam
Old 27th April 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by ahhproductions
Is anyone really liking the Focusrite Forte, or the URS A series? I'm considering the purchase of one of these two. I'm just not sure which one to go with right now. Anyone done any comparisons to the real gear? I plan to do a shootout at a friends place next week ISA 215 vs Forte, and API 550A, 550A1, and 550B vs URS A series. I don't want to wait a whole week though if someone else has already done the work. I'm mainly using the Sony Oxford EQ right now, and its pretty nice, but I just can't get the same sound on drums as quickly as I can with an API 550. Any other recommendations?

Thanks

Adam
I have the same problem. I love my Amek's EQ, especially for drums, and haven't been wow'd by any plugin - EQ or compressor. That said, there are some great plugins now, but they're not direct replacements for their hardware cousins which they model. Don't expect an API style plugin to sound like an API.

I've found that if I'm mixing OTB with hardware, then go ITB and try to get plugins to replicate what I did with hardware, it fails every time. If I start ITB and stay there, the results are much more favorable. Conversly, if I'm mixing ITB and get to where I'm satisfied then break stuff out on the console, I can always better the ITB mix. This is very subjective stuff though.

Someday soon I hope to be able to spread my ITB mix out on the console, and NOT better the mix. Then I'll happily stand beside Jules and Charles and wave the ProTools mix flag.thumbsup

FWIW, I thought the URS EQ's were fine, but didn't get me anything that Filterbank doesn't already.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search