The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Charles: How did you get your foot in the door?
Old 10th November 2002
Gear Maniac

Question Charles: How did you get your foot in the door?

Old 11th November 2002
FX smörgåsbord user

Chae,

"how did you get yourself "in the door" for regular high profile sessions? Could you share your journey from the bottom to the top?"

I studied engineering at a university, and about a year in I did an internship at a studio that led to an assistant engineering gig. So, I dropped out of college + took the job. I assisted at Crescent Moon Studio's in Miami, Gloria + Emilio Estefan's studio where Eric Schilling was the Chief Engineer (and someone I consider to have real golden ears). From time to time he would set-up a sound and leave the room allowing me to do the punch-ins (this was with tape). Eric is a great recording + mixing engineer (endless Platinum credits, Grammies, etc...) and being able to sit behind him, learning by watching him work, training my ears by listening to him get sounds while mixing was invaluable experience.

In the beginning I assisted on projects for Gloria Estefan + Jon Secada, and later I began engineering and doing some of my first major label mixes for them. From there, I became Desmond Childs' chief engineer and worked on projects with Jon Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Billie Myers, Hanson, and Ricky Martin. I was a tracking engineer on Ricky's English debut record, but a mix I did for one song was accepted by Ricky, Desmond + the label to be the final. The song was "Livin' La Vida Loca" and that led to mixing five more songs on the album, including two other singles "Shake Your Bon Bon" + "Private Emotion". My work on Ricky's album also led to my first two Grammy nominations + a Latin Grammy nomination.

More recently I've done mixes for Sammy Hagar, Julio Iglesias, Poe, Jaci Velásquez, Robi "Draco" Rosa, + Ednita Nazario, as well as engineered for Jennifer Lopez and Shakira. And last year I was awarded a Latin Grammy Award for Best Engineered Album for Thalia’s “Arrasando”.

For more info you may check out my site charlesdye.com.

"Of course it could just be the difference in talent and quality of work produced, but what do you think separates the Bob Clearmountain's, Tom Lord-Alge's and the Charles Dye's from the good engineers(tho I'm not claiming to be one) that will never be in MIX magazine?"

Very little if anything separates them. Luck + good fortune... maybe. There are many brilliant engineers in the world and whether they are in MIX mag or not, does not define their abilities.

I have a few words of advice that you may find helpful.
  • Never stop telling yourself that you will succeed and achieve your goal.
  • Never give up. Persistence pays off more than anything.
  • Always put yourself into situations with people who are better at what you do than you are so you can learn from them.
  • If working on high profile sessions is important to you, then put yourself into situations where you can work with successful engineers, producers + artists, even if it means taking two steps backwards in your career.
  • The most important ingredient to success is desire. If you want to succeed, you will succeed.
Old 12th November 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

Quote:
Originally posted by Charles Dye
[*]Always put yourself into situations with people who are better at what you do than you are so you can learn from them.
[*]If working on high profile sessions is important to you, then put yourself into situations where you can work with successful engineers, producers + artists, even if it means taking two steps backwards in your career.[*]
Great post, Charles. I really agree with you.
Old 12th November 2002
FX smörgåsbord user

Thanks Jon.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search